Preview

I've been dead...honestly, I really have been when it comes to writing. So here's a preview, even though I'm still not getting off hiatus. I'm not taking the story off since I'm still getting great feedback even though I haven't updated in forever. But here's a little something to show you that I have let this go completely...it's just hard.

-Preview-

Zhao Jiayi

-"Xienghi! Xienghi!"

The moans of my son...my child, nearly drove me insane. I dashed out the chamber to the open porch; away from the scene of my son coughing out blood.

I was going to kill that woman.

Jia-er ran out behind me, grabbing my wrists and pulling me back pleadingly. "Please Guniang, don't do anything rashly."

I turned and stared at her wildly. "Rashly? My son is a breath away from dying and I'm acting rashly...no, believe me, this is fully calculated. I'll kill her with a clear mind at that."

-"No you won't."

Li Xiao's voice almost stilled my nerves...almost. I stopped my struggling and looked over at him. "What do you mean I won't?"

He moved closer to me with the same stoic face that made me fully realize how distant we had grown from each other. "I mean that you won't do anything stupid and will go back in there and look after our son."

I scoffed at that, ripping my arm from Jia-er's grasp. "And what is sitting beside him going to do? Is my presence next to Xienghi going to miraculously bring him to full health when not even the doctors are finding a way to cure him? The least I can do for my son is strangle that woman with my bare hands...and no one is going to stop me."

I returned to making my way from the porch, only for my husband to rush in front of me and grasp my shoulders. "I will...you are not doing anything to Er-Zha."

I stared at him with an attempt at a calm composure. "And why is that? Because she's your perfect wife...your key to a treaty? So maybe I should sit still and do nothing while my son dies, let him go to the grave without a word and let you get a new heir with her. Would that make me the perfect wife you want Li Xiao?"

His face reddened. "Stop speaking nonsense."

I lost my composure at that. Nonsense? My son was dying and his own father didn't seem to care, and yet I was speaking nonsense.

-"HE'S MY SON!"

His grip tightened painfully. "And he's mine as well! You think I don't care about my own son?!"

I laughed. "It sure seems that way, since he's in bed coughing blood and your letting the animal that poisoned him walk around with her head held high while she calls herself your wife."

-"She is my wife."

-"And what am I...your dog?"

And then he let go of me with such force I fell into Jia-er's open arms. "Keep speaking that way and I won't give you the privilege of being either."

Those words stabbed like a dart. I had believed that my eyes had wrung out any tears I had left, and yet I seemed to be proven wrong with that.

I fought it all back. "Lately it seems as though that privilege is more like a life sentence. And I'll be fine if you release me from it."

It was then I had spoken the words I would not be able to take back...the both of us had. All thoughts of Er-Zha now left my mind like smoke as I stood straightly, not bothering to look him in the eye as I decided to return to my son's side.

I would leave when he got better...if he got better.

-Preview End-