Chapter 20

~ Ziah ~

It's not that Dylan never calls me; it's just that it doesn't happen often. "What's up?" I answer.

"I wanna get together. Do something. You know, hang out." His voice sounds a little weird.

"I'll see you this weekend, remember?"

"What?"

"All the people who actually go to college have the week off, remember? That's why they picked the date for the wedding. So they could all have a week of fun before the big day. Lora said we're getting together Saturday."

"I thought maybe we could get together sooner?"

I'm not sure if I trust myself around Dylan without a group, but I don't want to blow him off. "I have a few big tests this week and will definitely not be any fun. How about I see you on Saturday for dinner, and we'll plan something to save ourselves from what will probably be wedding-week insanity."

"Yeah. Okay. Cool."

When we hang up, I get this weird feeling Dylan walked around what he wanted to say but never said it. After the last time we had a big talk, I'm sort of relieved he didn't.

***

"Ziah!" James jogs up to my locker.

It's both comforting and weird that we're talking again. It's better than avoiding, but I don't think we'll ever have the easy friendship we had before we started dating. It does make me think twice before trying to date a friend again. Maybe Dylan's right to be scared.

"What's up?"

"I talked to that Matthew kid who's so good in our AP English? And he said he can get together with us next Wednesday if we want to gear up for big test after break."

I scan his face for any sign that more might be going on, but I don't find it. "With Matthew?"

James rolls his eyes. "That would be the point, yeah."

"Okay. That week is crazy, but I need all the help I can get. I'm in."

"Great." He smiles wide, and it's more relaxed and less forced. James and I will be okay.

***

It's Saturday before the wedding, and we're all at the first event of what is sure to be a week of insanity. It started with Alyssa and Paul shamelessly flirting at the table—both over the top and ridiculous, but at least they were entertaining. After the last time I went out with Lora and her friends, she promised Mom an early night.

"I owe you a dance." Dylan takes my hand and pulls me from my chair. The whole crew is out tonight, and even Alyssa tagged along for fun.

The music slows as we hit the small dance floor, and Dylan pulls me close. My heart starts pounding.

"Relax, Hanes." He grins as he pulls me closer, pressing our stomachs together.

Right. Relax. "You always smell good," I say.

I'm not sure it's something you're supposed to say to your friend, but instead of pulling away, he breathes in and pulls me even closer.

"So do you," he whispers as he leans in even more.

We're almost cheek to cheek, and a shiver runs through me as his breath touches my ear and neck.

"I've been wanting to talk to you—" he starts.

"Shhhh." I let myself really relax into him like I never have.

He started it, so I'm feeling like I'm safe. I readjust my arms around his neck wanting to be closer when I'm not totally sure it's possible.