Chapter 26

~ Ziah ~

I'm not sure what time I crashed last night, but this morning is the first day where my legs don't feel like lead. Last day before Spring Break. The morning of the rehearsal, though with Dylan still MIA, I'm not sure what will happen.

Dylan is too draining to think about. I'm mad and I'm hurt and I'm sorry. Those are some exhausting emotions to roll through day after day. I take a shower, spend some time on my hair, and even run mascara over my lashes.

No mid-terms today. I already have an A in English, so I'll be able to spend that class time buried in a book. I may just survive my day a little better than I've survived the week so far.

Then Alyssa picks me up with James in the backseat. The drive is tense, but we're all in the same car and no one explodes. The conversation rests on the weather, calculus, and biology. I take a deep breath when we hit the parking lot.

"We survived." Alyssa rests her arm over my shoulder as James jogs to catch up with another friend.

"We survived." It hits me hard. We'll be able to be friends, and we'll be okay. Not perfect, not the way we were before, but okay. And I guess that's enough.

School passes in a haze. We're all half on Spring Break already. I check my phone like a million times, but I guess I'm sort of resigned to silence. And I'm starting to get nervous about maybe seeing Dylan tonight.

***

Lora's handling the cancellation of her rehearsal incredibly well. Like I'm almost suspicious as she chomps down on her fiftieth carrot stick since her dinner salad.

"How hard could it be?" She smiles, but it looks a little forced. "I walk up the aisle. You all stand on either side. It'll be fine."

"What about..." Dylan?

"They're driving back from the coast tomorrow morning. Sounds like he'll be with them." She studies my face more carefully.

Hours before the wedding. "And you're okay with this?"

"I love Derrick. I want to be part of their family. So, yeah. I'm okay with this." She sits back.

"Wow." Not only are we gaining a Derrick, their family is gaining a Lora. They'd better recognize how amazing she is.

"You'd better go put on those heels and get some more practice." She nudges me with her elbow.

Yeah, I'd better because not only will I have to walk in those heels tomorrow, I'll have to walk in those heels while holding Dylan's arm.