Past

12 ears ago...

The children were all running around at St. Swithin's Orphanage. Bruce Wayne had come today with his aunt Leslie. He sat on the couch by the window in her office, looking out at the children. Some were playing tag; others were playing hide and seek, games he hadn't played since-

Leslie: "Bruce, darling why don't you go out and play with the other kids, it might do you good. It'll be more fun than sitting in this dark and boring office with me." His aunt tried to make him go out and play while she overlooked some patient files.

Bruce: "No, that's ok, I'm fine. Thank you."

Leslie: "Now come on, look how much fun they're having. At the least you can just go and have a look around. I'll bet you'll find something that'll interest you."

The doctor ushered the young billionaire out her office and went back to her work. Bruce looked around and took a stroll around the building, making his way up to the roof, while on the way getting some girls who found him cute, to giggle about him while kindly rejecting the other boys' invitation to play with them. Once at the top, the kid was greeted by a gush of the cold winter wind, unable to keep him inside, regardless of how much he shivered. He went over to the edge, looking down at a dark, stranded alley-

Girl: "Careful, you might fall in." Bruce was startled by the new voice that joined him and spun around to see the owner.

Bruce: -stuttering-"I didn't know there was someone here."

Girl: "You look new around here. This place can seem bad when you first look at it, but there's no reason to jump off a roof."

Bruce: "I, uh, was just looking, what an ally looks like from above. I wasn't going to jump. I'm here with my aunt, she's the doctor here."

Girl: "Cool. I'm Selina Kyle, people call me Cat."

Bruce: "Nice to meet you Cat. I, uh I should go back down." Bruce excused himself and was at the door when he was stopped by a question that hit him close.

Selina: "It must have been hard, you know, watching your parents leave. Most kids here are without parents, but I don't think any of them have been through what you have."

Bruce: "Yeah, it sucks." Because it was my fault the boy thought to himself and questioned Cat why she called the kids them and not "us."

Selina: "Oh, I'm not supposed to be here. I'm not an orphan."

Bruce: "Oh."

Selina: "Sorry, I shouldn't have said that."

Bruce: "It's ok; it's not your fault."

Selina: "You don't talk much do you? Anyway, look at these..." the girl dressed in a black jumpsuit put down her knapsack and took out things to cheer up her new friend, who wasn't half as excited by her stuff as he was interested in her stories. She kept him entertained; distracted, from what he maybe was considering doing.

Bruce: "So, why are you here, if you're not an orphan?"

Selina: "They like to say that my mom's dead, so they can keep me locked up in here. But she's not dead; she just can't keep me with her, that's all. You wanna know why? Because she's a secret agent! She goes to all these different countries and she saves innocent lives and kicks bad people's butts. So that's why she can't keep me, you know, because it would be dangerous. That's how I have this skill. I was born with it. You mess with me, I'll kick your butt and I'll scratch you to shreds..." she moved across the roof like an agile feline, hissing and pouncing with her claws, keeping her new friend so caught up in her world that he jumped when the door burst open and two angry, heavy middle aged women came through.

Woman 1: "There you are you little rascal! You've cause enough trouble for today." She grabbed the young girl by the shoulders and dragged her to the door when Bruce intervened.

Bruce: "Stop that! Don't hurt her, she's my friend."

Selina smiled at her new friend as the other lady turned angrily towards the boy billionaire. But before she could scold him, Dr. Thompkins came running through the door.

Leslie: "There you are Bruce! Oh excuse him; he doesn't know the rules around here. Little Mr. Wayne came here to visit me today."

They all went down the stairs to the fourth floor, and when they were about to split from the group, Bruce stopped.

Bruce: "Selina, you left-"

Selina: "You keep it kid. Maybe I'll come and get it back from you some day." With that Selina went away with her two wardens and Bruce left with Leslie to go home.

Leslie: "So, how was your day today?"

The Dr. asked her young friend and listened gleefully as he excitedly relayed all of his encounter on the roof, adding his own comments and events, and Leslie was happy, that for the first time in a long time, she saw the newly orphaned kid, be a kid.

Thank you for reading and enjoying. Your reviews are encouraged and appreciated. Once again, I do not own any character or places, and credit and rights go to DC and Nolan and all those legal people. Christian Bale is and always will always be my Batman, do tell me who's yours in the reviews.