First Dance

Orchestra music already greeted the Wayne 01 number plated silver Lamborghini Murcielago as the Prince of Gotham city arrived at the ball venue with five beautiful plus-ones. If only I had a normal life. Of course being a playboy was just a routine for Bruce Wayne, but any guy his age, especially his age, had to have a delusional psyche if he didn't appreciate his position, and that was one of the important characteristics that he didn't want to exhibit, however damaged he may be. As soon as he gave his keys to the red coated valet, his guests blew him a kiss and dispersed into the crowd of other bare backed beauties.

Friend 1: "Welcome to the party, Bruce!"

Friend 2: "What, you weren't gonna introduce us to your guests?"

"You can run after them if you like." Bruce playfully elbowed his friend in the gut. They all laughed and talked when one of them said,

Friend 3: "I'll be sure to keep him [Bruce] from the booze!" they all laughed. If you only knew thought Bruce as he remembered his miserly excuse to evacuate his house before Ra's al-Ghul, the world's most dangerous man, burned down his home three years ago.

They were all sitting at a round table drinking fancy champagne when he saw someone by the stairs. She was easy to notice as she was the only one wearing a mask, a glittering black eye mask. Bruce excused himself from his friends, getting snarky remarks, but he made his way towards her. She had obviously noticed him coming to her through the thick crowd as she spun around and started up the spiraling stairs. He chased her to the top of one set but she had vanished as soon as she had appeared. He looked around and was greeted instead by a blonde in a bubblegum pink ball gown. She was wearing matching pink stilettos and jewelry, with a pink heart choker around her neck, one he assumed would be worth much more than his suit. She dragged him down the floor just in time for the first song. It was a fast rhythm, and the two danced to the pace, but the boy billionaire was distracted, which was noticed by his young partner.

"You look distracted, Bruce." The girl asked, her voice unimpressed.

"I'm really sorry, but I was expecting someone-." Bruce replied, finally looking at her.

"Why do I get the impression it's me?"

Just as the first song ended, the pair were cut off by Selina Kyle, dressed in a black as night dress, with her eyes hiding behind a sparkly black mask.

                                                                                  o0oo0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

Selina Kyle stood in one of the balconies in the main hall, observing the people dancing below. No, she was glued to their jeweled necks and wrists, their millions of dollars worth of all sorts of rings and watches and broaches. She walked her way to the top stairs, wanting go down to the main room exploding with color as the girls swung and spun, dancing with their men, significant or otherwise. The rich life, full of lies and fake smiles, she thought laughing to herself.

She spotted a familiar face too as she reached the first floor. He was sitting with a circle of other twenty-something year old billionaires. They were all laughing, probably about something stupid. She noticed him slow down his laughter as Bruce Wayne's eyes locked directly with hers. She was swiping an emerald stoned ring from a blonde in a matching slim fit sheath dress when she noticed him coming her way.

Selina swiftly tucked the ring in her own dress pocket and walked back up the stairs, sensing him right behind her. When she reached the top she quickly ran into the closest room and closed the door, keeping it slightly ajar to see what happened. Bruce reached the top ten seconds after her yet seemed completely lost. He wasn't alone for long as he was soon joined by a blonde in a pink ball gown. With a matching pink jeweled choker around her neck. After some resistance from him, she dragged him down for a dance, and Selina made her way out of the room, laughing to herself.

                                                               o0oo0o0o0o0o0o

"You look distracted, Bruce." the girl asked him

"I'm really sorry, but I was expecting someone-."

"Why do I get the impression it's me?" Selina cut in between the two just as the song ended, and the blonde left disheartened, in more ways than one.

"Well aren't you glad I rescued you from your misery, darrling." She said to him, rolling her "r's" just as Bruce rolled her into the second dance.

"I most certainly am. Sweet heart." He cocked his eyebrow and tilted his head down, and she knew that it was more than just a reply to her sweet name. He had noticed. He had noticed her stealing the pink heart off his last dance partner's neck. This put her on edge, and her ears shot up. At least they would have, if she had been a cat.

"Why, did you want to add it to your personal collection?" she replied, referring to his financials.

"What, the necklace? Oh no, nothing of the sort. See, my expertise is in sports cars and yachts, not jewels. I'm sure all my knowledge of them would pale in comparison to that of a jewel thief."

His awareness of her identity really caught her off guard, enough that her dance partner noticed her misstep in their slow waltz.

"Well, I'll be damned!" she spoke as he spun her.

"I'm surprised that you're... surprised. I mean, you told me so on that roof, when, I was 'about to jump', what 12, 13 years ago?"

"So, you do remember us." she said, crinkling her lips, impressed.

"Mmhmm."

"Not bad, kid." She teased him with that old nickname she had once given him. "I'm staggered though, how a kid like him could turn into a man like-"

Her remark was cut off when she saw a member of the 13th precinct dressed in a tuxedo eyeing her curiously and was starting to make his way to her. Her partner followed her gaze and grew concerned.

"Selina-" he grabbed her wrist assuringly tight, trying to keep her to stay.

"Another time, kid." She said as she grabbed his collar and kissed him hard on the mouth.

But before he could open his eyes, she was gone.