Y/N Female Character - 5. School (into the classroom)

Maybe you don't really have to get your bag, you thought. Maybe you can just call home through the payphone by the gate?

"The landlines aren't working," Gino supplied.

"Wha-How did you-?" What is he, a mind reader?

"Guessed. You look like you're thinking of other alternatives and I do know that all you're thinking of is calling home."

You thought about lying but held your tongue, "What do you suppose we do?" you ask.

"We can go back down and forget about it."

"No! I have to get home," you whined. "I'll let you call home too you know."

He gave you a sharp look that you didn't get, "No, I'm fine. I'll help you get it either way."

"Oh, thanks." You looked down, feeling bad somehow. As to why you didn't know.

"Oh, don't thank me yet," he told you. "Not until we get out of here alive that is."

You huffed a breath and glared at him, "So, what do we do?"

"Well, one would open this closed door, act as bait, run and lose them. And then head for the meeting point." He explained, "The other comes from the other door and get the bag, hide from the damned zombies and go to the meeting point."

He made it sound so easy but in truth just the thought of it had you frightened. "So, who does what?" you ask.

"Stupid, you act as bait and I'll go get your bag. It's your fault we have to do this anyway and who knows, you might run away once you've gotten what you need."

"What? Of course not, I'd never do that to anyone!" you hissed indignantly but you thought that maybe you were lying when you said that. After all, running all the way to the meeting point meant you'd bump with the reanimated corpses of your classmates. Oh and not to mention that they'll try to eat you and turn you into one of them too.

"Any other options?" you ask.

"Yeah, you go in there and join your friends, maybe ask them nicely or tell them that you'll just be getting your bag and then come back here. Nice and easy."

You slump with your back to the wall feeling disheartened. His sarcasm wasn't really helping as you feel the helplessness overcome you.

"I'll open the door and run, okay? You stay in the other room until they've all come after me." You hear his voice say beside you.

You open your eyes to see him smiling grimly. You give him a confused stare which he returned with a glare.

"Come on Y/N. Head back to the game, you're gonna die if you don't focus okay?" he said.

You nodded, feeling overwhelmed. "Where's the meeting point?"

"Not the clinic, obviously we don't want to lead them there, otherwise it's gonna be harder for us." He paused for a moment to think when something catches your eye. You start shaking the boy beside you to get his attention.

"What?"

"Gino, I don't think we have enough time. Dana's coming back," you whisper anxiously. You both look at the silhouette of someone moving in the corridor that intersects the one you're in. A few meters from it was another moving body which made your stomach drop. Dana sure knows how to make friends even when dead.

It was only a matter of time before the zombies make a turn and spot them. You fervently hope they're blind or something.

"Putek*," he swore, "Okay, let's just lose them and meet at the clinic later. Hide anywhere, okay? I haven't checked that side of the school," he pointed to the one where you first saw Dana standing, "And don't get bitten."

"We have until the evening, whom ever doesn't make it to the clinic will be assumed dead okay?" he added.

"Yes, yes got it! Let's do this," you said hurriedly.

He gave you a slight push towards the room where you first hid and you hide behind the door. Peeking on the gap of the door jamb you look on as Gino waved and hooted manically at Dana and friend who then made a guttural sound that made you shiver with fright.

The zombies pace increased and you see Gino flinging open the door to your classroom and shouting, "Hey, you stupid Juniors! What's the matter? Taking remedial lessons on a Saturday?"

You watched apprehensively as he slowly backed away from the zombies emerging from the room.

"Hey, hey! Not there egg head! Come heeeere!" He shouted, his voice panicking.

You're eyes widened and you crouched down while holding onto the knife. The zombie of your class president just passed the door. The guy had always had a nose for those hiding from their class duties, you thought wryly. And he had always found you when you were trying to escape being cleaners.

He snapped and groaned. You sighed as you see him turning and stumbling with the others after the running Gino.

A sound in the room made your head whip. It seems like Dana had gotten through the other door and you didn't even notice since you were too busy looking through YOUR door. And now, you've forgotten that there was actually another door which was wide open.

You gulped and whisper, "Hello, Dana."

She gave a snarl and lunged at you.

*putek - mild Filipino swear word (word may also mean 'mud' but used here as a curse word)