Y/N Female Character - 13. School (to the gate)

You walk out the room after Mr. Manuel. Really, that "ladies first" thing doesn't apply anymore. Especially during these times.

You look back at the nurse's desk before shutting the door quietly behind you. You've already left a note for Gino telling him where to find you. The gate was near the clinic and you hope that he'll get to find you right away.

Mr. Manuel had made a motion with his hand that clearly told you to be quiet. You fight down a gasp, there were a lot on the grounds, aimlessly staggering around. You didn't even notice them earlier.

The man started to move on and you followed with what you hoped were light footsteps. Mostly you kept close to the wall, as if trying to make yourself smaller. It was of little help.

Suddenly a corpse of an adolescent boy was in front of you both.

"Quick! Run to the gate!" Mr. Manuel whisphered frantically while giving a wide swing of his makeshift spear which caused the zombie to stagger downwards a step.

You run, with the older man at your heels. Your heart beats wildly in your chest, just a few more steps and you'll be at the gate. The wide metal grilles were open and you ran as if you were in a marathon.

You surveyed the inside of the school gate where you are currently. As he had said, there was the school service, a white L300 parked diagonally as if whoever had driven it had crashed to the gate but didn't make it out. The outer gate had swung out just a bit supposedly from the car's impact on it but remained shut, the lock still in place. The driver's side was wide open and there was blood splattered on the floor beside it. Fortunately there wasn't anybody on in here, but unfortunately too you remember that that would only mean that whoever the owner of this blood is out there. Somewhere.

Mr. Manuel went to the car and you let him do his magic. Car mechanisms are after all beyond you and so you look around more closely. There were school bags scattered everywhere. Notebooks and other school supplies are strewn all over. You gingerly pick up a filled water bottle and going over by the grilles, you swing wide to throw it in the direction of a zombie. You duck away but you could hear the retreating steps as it followed after the rolling bottle.

Mr. Manuel grunted and asked, "What was that?"

You went to him to reply, "Nothing." You shake your head and instead looked hopefully at him, "Can you fix it Mr. Manuel?" you gesture to the car.

He frowned but you can see his resolute expression, "I can but it'll take a while girlie. And I'll be needing some things." He then eyed the guard's desk and he hopped from the driver's seat.

You watch as he pull out a keychain with several keys and put one through the desk's lock. You decided to look and walked closer as he opened the drawer. There were lots of stuff inside, although they were quite random and there were even a couple of girly stuff like keychains and what looked like children's notebooks.

"Students' stuff that are left in for days are kept here," he explained as he rummaged inside. He unearthed a pliers and other tools, which looked like they've seen better days but are still sturdy. He also took out a thin black flashlight and handed it to you.

"Hold it over me when it gets too dark, yeah?"

"Okay", you nod and follow him as he move again towards the car. You notice him pocketing a pistol but do not comment further.

He crouched down before sliding halfway below the van. For a few minutes you stand, unsure of what to do. You look back at the gate leading towards the school warily but there doesn't seem to be any danger yet. You begin to crouch down too but suddenly Mr. Manuel pulled himself off the car and briefly shook his head at you.

"I still see clearly, you don't have to open that flashlight yet." He hesitated, "I do however have something to ask of you."

You whisper okay but he continued, his worried gaze making you a bit nervous. He took out the set of keys from his pocket and handed it to you. "You know the guard's room right?

"There's a label on the right key to open that room. Go there and get the bottle of diesel. In the meantime I should be able to get this fixed so we can get the hell out'a here."

You nod again but more frantically this time. You can do this, you think. You just have to pass through the field, past those zombies. Easy, you thought albeit sarcastically. You didn't say anything though as you slowly stand up. Really, Mr. Manuel is counting on you and you've actually made it this far.

"You can do this right, Y/N?"

You smile weakly at him, "Of course Mr. Manuel. I'll be back in no time."

You see the utility man removing the pistol from his pocket but you shook your head, "Keep it sir. I think it'll only make more noise and attract them."

He nodded and bid you good luck before ducking under the car again, his back getting bloodier from the mess on the floor.

You force yourself to stop shaking as you take out the knife and hold it protectively before you as you walk towards the gate and back to the school grounds.