Y/N Female Character - 12. School (back at the clinic)

You tensed and waited for those teeth to tear you apart but it never came. Instead the pressure moved on your head. Left and then right. Then suddenly it left altogether.

You look up and see Mr. Manuel before you as he shifted from one foot to the other. It seemed that he had patted-or more likely messed your hair in an attempt to comfort your obvious distress.

You smiled weakly at that and accepted as he helped you up and into a chair. He didn't speak as you wiped at your face and fixed your ponytail. There wasn't anything to do for your clothes and you refused to remove your pack. You have to be alert and on the move. Dying simply would make Christina's death meaningless.

"Where's Gino?" you ask.

He gave you a startled look but then you see relief cross his features, "I thought- He was here half an hour ago just before he went out to look for you."

The older man must've thought that Gino was dead for a second but there was a chance that he had taken another direction and was still out there looking. You also feel a bit of relief at the thought that the rascal was still alive.

Once you've felt you had a much better hold of yourself, you stand to the sink to wash the cuts covering your arms. They stung and you looked around the room once more to take your mind off the pain.

That was when you noticed it. The isolation room was slightly open.

You close the tap but didn't take your eyes off the door. Mr. Manuel must've noticed because he said,

"I put her down already."

You look at him and gave a slight nod. You know there'll be no pretty sight inside but you'll check it out anyway.

You hold your knife in a loose but defensive stance as you walked towards the door. This reminded you of those survival horror video games your gamer friends used to talk about and play. Only this isn't fun one bit. Killing your friend who tried to eat you, watching people die and staying alive at all cost.

With your left arm, you nudge the door to open wider. Sure enough, Ms. Jane lay sprawled on the floor. The room was an utter mess and the bed was stained with blood.

The nurse's bag was on the floor with its contents spilled. A hairbrush, a small notepad and pens were littered as well as shards of broken glass from a compact mirror. You kneel down to take a closer look inside her handbag. A coin purse with some change, lipstick, a packet of chewing gum and a folded pamphlet. Out of curiosity you open the paper and read: Revolutionary Supplement. You snort and would have lost interest had you not scanned the list of the symptoms that the advertised capsule was supposed to prevent. Nausea, disorientation, organ hemorrhaging... symptoms that you have seen and heard from the news.

The outbreak.

You read on. According to the pamphlet, there are stages to this viral infection. What's it called anyway? You flip to the cover and all over but there was nothing on what it was called. That was strange.

The more severe symptoms include loss of vision, hallucinations and violent actions. And that wasn't all, it was a long list. You see a small picture and the man reminded you of the video of a rabid dog you've seen. You shake your head to clear the image.

Searching the bag again, you see a small brown paper bag. You open it and see the two small capsules still in its packaging. They look exactly like the ones you saw in the pamphlet. Your breath hitched, this is something that's supposed to negate the symptoms. You put the pamphlet and the medicine in the inside pocket of your bag and stood up. The rest of the things in the room didn't seem that useful although you hesitated before leaving the gum inside the bag.

You gaze at Ms. Jane's body which lay down in an odd angle. She was a nice woman and had let you rest on the other room whenever you didn't feel good. You take the crumpled bed sheet and cover her upper half. It was horrible to look at her corpse, all bloody and her expression was not serene at all.

You notice something under the bed and bent down to retrieve it. It was a red lighter. You look again at Ms. Jane's handbag and wonder if it came from there. You put it inside your pocket, it was small anyway and you can just throw it if you couldn't find any use for such an object.

The shutters were pulled out of the way but the windows were closed and taped from the inside. You didn't dare open it. There was nothing of importance there, you think and proceeded to walk towards the door. You sigh as you close the door behind you.

Mr. Manuel, you noticed was now duct taping a large knife on a metal pipe similar to the one Gino had. You look on at what he was doing as he laid another small wrench and wrap the tape over it to act as support for the knife.

You have to admit it was a rather wicked looking custom-made weapon. You wish that you can make a gun out of some random stuff. Now that would be extremely useful.

"We wait for Gino right?" you ask as he worked in silence.

"You can wait here if you want girlie," he said. "There's a vehicle inside the gate, I was thinking I'd fix it so we can get out."

And then what? You wanted to ask but you held your tongue. You almost nodded but then that would leave Mr. Manuel out in the open. He didn't seem like he was still in pain but he was still recovering from his wound. No, you needed to help each other and waiting for Gino here wouldn't accomplish anything.

"Uh-huh, I'll come with you," you give him a tight smile which of course he didn't see as he was busy with the improvised spear.

"I'll have your back Mr. Manuel," you continued.

He looked up and just nodded but you can see that he had given a smile in return, albeit a strained one.

"Then I'm counting on you Y/N."