Chapter 2

"Piper, how could you?" A scream was heard from the room that the step-sisters shared.

"How could I what?" Piper responded, sounding confused as she brushed through her hair and fixed her clothes. Listening to Kacie rant, she pulled down her white tank top, which fell just above her belly button and showed off her tanned stomach.

"You asked Darrel Curtis out," Kacie accused, loudly. Well, not so much accused, since she already knew that Piper did it, but she still screamed.

"So...?" Piper asked, waiting for more on the subject.

"He's my friend," Kacie said. Piper shrugged.

"Mine too. We have AP English together," she responded.

"You wouldn't have even paid attention to someone like him if he weren't my tutor," Kacie yelled.

"What do you mean like him?" Piper defended.

"He's a greaser, Pip. You hate greasers." Piper couldn't defend that, she usually does. She's the kind of girl, Soc girl, that makes greasers lives a living hell.

"But he's hot. And have you seen his little brother, Sodapop?" Piper asked after a moment of thought.

"I've seen him. He works at the DX. He's cute, I guess, but did you really have to ask my math tutor out on our night?" Kacie demanded.

"Wait... What do you mean our night ?" Piper responded cluelessly. Kacie roll my eyes at the seeming stupidity.

"What the hell do you think I mean, Pippi?" Kacie asked, the sarcasm radiating in her voice surprising her almost sister. She didn't even realize she sounded so rude or powerful until Piper looked down at her feet. Kacie almost couldn't tell if she remembered about Karaoke Night or not. She felt guilt rising in her chest as Piper started to respond.

"Well, sorry for having your best interests at heart, sis. I didn't think you'd want to sit around all night. You would have been bored. I was planning to ask Darry to drop you off somewhere more fun. You could go to a friend's houses, or meet someone at the mall or something," Piper said.

Maybe Kacie would have believed her, if it weren't for the fact that she called her "sis" which Piper only ever uses sarcastically. In fact, the girl did sound incredibly convincing other than that. That maybe she really was trying to look out for Kacie. The only problem was, singing was the only thing the two girls had in common, and Piper knew it.

Singing was a passion of both of there's, and they both had lovely voices, which sounded especially great together. And Kacie knew it, which is why she only ever sang solos at the Karaoke bar. But still, the two of them went together, and never exactly fought about it. Piper's mom had them go, and so they did.

"Either way, I'm going, with or without Darry," Kacie told Piper. Piper's eyes narrowed.

"C'mon Kace, this was supposed to be a date. We'll go next week, you and I," she said. But Piper never kept her word, and Kacie knew it. She hated her step sister almost as much as Kacie hated her.

"I just don't understand why you have to do this," Kacie said, her soft brown eyes flashing in rage.

"What?" Piper asked, with an eye roll.

"Piper, you knew that I like Darry! You always say you know me better than I know myself, so I don't know how you could have thought this was okay!" Kacie yelled at her.

"Geez, I didn't know I didn't have free reign to date who I wanted," Piper responded.

"Pip, he's my math tutor for gods sake! How does that sound okay to you?"

"Not just a math tutor, though," was her thought.

"Why doesn't it sound okay, Kace? He's my classmate too. God, you can be really selfish sometimes," Piper jabbed. Kacie's eyes flashed in anger again.

"Piper Alexis Jones, you can be just as much of a bitch and you don't even have to try. I swear, you better break off this date or it's gonna be torture for all three of us," Kacie said, her voice suddenly unnervingly calm. It was like she didn't care, but at the same time cared all too much.

"Because Darry should be mine", Kacie thought.

"What's the big deal? I can get you a date too if you want," Piper offered. Kacie softened a bit, almost saying yes, but then remembered something.

"It's too bad that you have the only guy I would want to go out with," she said.

"Wha-" Piper started, then stopped. Pulling up her jeans, adjusting her tank top again, she started walking out again.

"Whatever, Kace. At least I tried," she said to Kacie, then left her in alone in the room the two of them shares. Kacie sat down on her bed, sighing to herself.

"At least she tried," she thought. The same way she "tried" to stay with gymnastics because it was something Kacie liked. The same way she "tried" to push her way back into Kacie's life after their parents betrayed her. She tried just as hard as she ever had when it had something to do with Kacie.

"At least I tried to be a good sister," she wanted to scream. She wanted to yell it out loudly, and then maybe Piper would understand all of the efforts she put in. But Kacie just hated her so much it was impossible. Which was sad, considering the the history of the two of them.

They met when they were very young, when the two of them were put in the same daycare, probably not as much of a shock as you'd expect, though.

When the two of them were in daycare, they were Piper and Annika. It was a book their teacher had read to them on the first day, Pippi Longstocking, and they thought it was exactly them. Piper was Pippi, the lovable red headed "strongest girl in the world", and Kacie was Annika, the blonde haired, blue eyed, air headed and adorable best friend. Neither of them looked anything like the characters, but acted just like them, and were inseparable, just like Pippi and Annika. But look at them now...

A/N: Boom. Because I forgot to update The Delinquent's Daughter and this was already written. You're welcome. Leave you thoughts, suggestions, comments, predictions, exc. -Katy