Chapter 10

"We have to stop at my house," Kacie decided as soon as school was over for the day. The words were of her mouth before Darry could even say hello.

"Okay, sure," he said. "And then we'll get going?" Kacie nodded, trying not to second guess herself too badly. She didn't know if this was the right thing to do, and if bringing Darry along would be too bad of an idea.

"Together?" She asked him once they were in the car. He steered the truck with one hand and held her hand with his other.

"Always, Kace," he responded, raising their intertwined hands so he could kiss hers.

When they pulled into her driveway, she felt her heart race and her anxiety skyrocket.

"You gonna be okay in there alone?" He asked, offering to go with her. She nodded.

"I'll be okay, baby. It'll only be a minute too. I'm gonna try to sneak in and out without anyone seeing me," she told him. He raised an eyebrow, not sure about this plan.

"You want them to stop me?" She asked, the hurt evident in her voice, although she wasn't even remotely surprised.

"Just go, Kacie. I'll be waiting when you get back," he assured her. She unbuckled her seatbelt and rushed into her house, running up the stairs to her and Piper's shared room. She looked around it one last time. Her bed was on the left side of the room, facing the doorway. It was a twin size with four white metal posts around it and white mosquito netting and lace. Next to it was two night stands, her's and Piper's. Piper's bed was on the other side, exactly the same looking. Both beds faced a vanity. Piper's side was plain, just the mirror, with pounds of makeup sitting on top of the dresser, and Kacie's side was filled with pictures taped to the mirror from gymnastics. There was one of her and Angie both doing one of her signature moves that she really liked. She took it down and stuck it in her pocket. Then, she went into the drawers and took out a few of her favorite shirts and as many pairs of jeans as she could carry. At the bottom of the drawer there was a little envelope, she grabbed. Everything she'd been saving and didn't want to tell her parents and Piper about was in it. From before she had to quit her job. She wished he hadn't been so stupid and careless about that, especially since she needed the money now. At the time, all she had wanted was a car. But now? She knew there were much more important things.

"I don't understand why you have to do this all the time, Piper! What did I ever do to you?" Kacie screamed at her sister.

"What are you even talking about?" Piper responded, rolling her eyes.

"I worked my ass off. I got a job, and suddenly Mom and Dad are getting you a car, and I'm not allowed to buy one myself?" Kacie responded. Piper didn't answer.

"It's just not fair. I don't understand. They're not the types of people that are surprising me with one for my birthday either, Piper. How'd you get them to do it?" Kacie asked her sister. Piper shrugged.

"I just asked them and they said sure. They said you'd have to share with me, but we both know that's not happening." Kacie's eyes widened in shock and anger.

"For no reason? Are you kidding me? They kiss your ass and I'm fucking tired of it. I'm done," Kacie yelled. Not even arguing about the comment Piper had made about her, Kacie pushed her sister against the wall in anger. Piper screamed as the shelf hanging above her on the wall fell on her head. She fell on the ground, holding her head.

"Oh my god," Kacie whispered, standing there. Piper's mother ran in at that moment.

"Pippi, baby! What happened?" Piper was crying, barely in shape to answer. There was a bump on her head, but luckily the small wooden shelf wasn't big or heavy enough to give her a concussion. There was broken glass on the floor from whatever was on top of it.

"Kay-Kacie p-pu-pushed me," Piper cried out softly, holding her head. Her mother turned, glaring at her step daughter.

"You did what?" She exclaimed. Kacie blushed, ashamed of herself.

"I'm sorry," she muttered. But sorry wasn't going to cut it for the angry mother.

"You're grounded. You're quitting you jon and you are never allowed out of the house again unless you're going to school or a practice. Is that understood?" She demanded. Kacie nodded, tears streaming down her face as she watched her step-mom help Piper up. She couldn't believe what she had done, and she didn't even try to fight her punishment.

That was when she had first started sneaking around, almost a year ago, doing odd jobs for money and calling it "practice", which she had been showing up less and less to in the past year. She counted the money in the envelope, almost $500. Most of that at least $200 was from tips at the restaurant she used to waitress at. She had never spent it, she had no need.

Kacie grabbed a suitcase to put everything in, and started throwing things. Then she went for her notebook, the one with all of her notes and research. She had left it in the drawer of her nightstand, last she remembered. But when she went in there, it was gone. Piper came out of the bathroom attached to their room at that exact moment, holding the notebook and smiling like an idiot.

"Give me that," Kacie demanded. Piper laughed.

"So, you're going to North Carolina first? I'll remember that, it'll be good to tell the police when Mom and Dad report you missing," Piper said. It wasn't a threatening statement, but Kacie knew it was still a threat. She knew North Carolina was where a small rally had been planned for tomorrow, but she decided right there to skip it.

"What do you want, Pip?" Kacie asked. She knew if she offered the right thing, Piper would keep her mouth shut.

"You know I covered for you last night? I told mom you were in the bathroom when you came in to check on us last night, and that Darry picked you up early this morning. All so you didn't get in trouble," she said. Kacie stared at her.

"Why?" She asked. Piper smiled.

"Isn't it obvious? Because we're sisters." Kacie rolled her eyes.

"Cut the crap, Piper. Tell me what you want and I'll give it to you. Then I have to go." She zipped her suitcase, ready to head out. Piper gave her a devious look.

"If only you knew what you were getting into, Kacie. I can't stop you though, can I?" Piper asked. Kacie shook her head. One more minute with the evil stepsister and she knew her head would explode. At this point, nothing was stopping Kacie from ditching and never coming back.

A/N: I hate this chapter and it was written at 2 AM but at least it was an update. What do you think is up with psycho Kacie??