Chapter 4

When Kacie called Darry on Sunday morning saying that Piper took the car that the two of them shared and she couldn't get a ride over to his house, she thought it was the end of the world. When Darry responded saying his parents weren't home and he didn't have one either, but he could walk all the the way over there just so they could study, Kacie was on top of the world. She just didn't think it would end the way it did.

Darry, being the cutie that he is, said that he was babysitting his brothers right now, and could only leave them home alone for a half an hour, so they had to get back soon. He quickly called them from Kacie's family's house phone to say he was on the way back, and then they were off.

"I'm sorry about this, Kacie. But really, it's not too far at all," he assured her. She nodded.

"Well, you got here pretty fast. I'm up for a little walking," she said, her sparking smile unimaginably beautiful. They didn't talk much after that, but Darry kept peeking at her face, giving her little smiles, and they both blushed every now and then. But after only 15 minutes, things went downhill

"Well, well, well. If it isn't the school's cutest couple," a Soc that Kacie recognized from her neighborhood, James, said, walking up to them. She blushed at the idea of them being a couple, just as Darry got in front of her, protective and sweetly. The soc laughed, putting a hand in his pocket. Neither of them denied being a couple.

"You lay one little finger on her and I swear I will kill you," menacingly, Darry threatened the guy. His response? He laughed. Kacie's heart pounded wildly in her chest, although she couldn't tell if it was out of anxiety or because of that threat.

"Funny that you would think we would touch Her Royal Highness, Miss Queen of the School," the Soc responded. Again, Kacie felt her cheeks heating up.

"That's not me," she said, quietly.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were your sister! Don't know how I got that mixed up. You never will be as good as her, will you?" He teased. Kacie's eyes lit up in a firey way, but she was narrowly holding back tears. Darry could sense it, and he almost pounced on James.

"Wanna try? I have four others waiting in the car." He said when Darry tried to hurt him. Kacie held him back with her hands on his shoulders. Although he tried not to show it, his tense shoulders loosened immediately.

"No, thanks. We... we aren't looking for trouble," Kacie said, trying to lead Darry away. But it didn't work, and the boy lunged towards Darry and Kacie. Kacie ended up on the ground with a black, bruised eye, and Darry tackled him to the ground. Kacie sat on the ground, tears filling an eye she could barely blink, watching it happen. She wanted to step in, to break it up, but was too worried about getting hurt again. Darry was winning anyways.

Sooner or later, James practically gave up. Darry still sat on top of him, punching, and James had stopped trying to hurt him altogether.

"You wanna say you're sorry?" Darry asked, putting his fists down, but staying on top of him. James nodded slowly, holding a nose that was probably broken.

"I... I'm sorry, Kacie. Now let me up," he demanded. The apology sounded fake.

"You had no right to hurt her. You better not come near her, ever again, or we're going to have some trouble," Darry roared at him. Kacie almost blushed. James nodded, and as soon as Darry got up, he ran away. They started their walk back home, silently, hand and hand.

"Are you okay?" Darry asked, lightly touching the bruise. Kacie nodded.

"Yeah... Darry? Thank you for defending me," Kacie said, her voice low with embarrassment.

"Of course. I would never want to see you hurt," he responded. "I'm sorry about your eye. You sure you're okay?" She smiled at him in response, and went onto a totally different topic.

"Thanks... Hey, do Piper and I really look that similar?" She asked Darry. He gave a sad smile, and disappointment was written on the girls face.

"Like twins," he told her. She sighed.

"C-can people really not tell us apart?" She questioned. This time she received a nod, and no response in word form. Questions formed in her mind at that came to mind so fast she couldn't ask them all. So she picked one that had bugged her for a while now.

"How do you tell us apart?" She wondered aloud. He took a second to give a response

"Your eyes, your height, your shapes, personalities, and lots of little things," he rattled off.

"Little things?" Kacie questioned. Darry nodded.

"Like... small things that I only notice on you," Darry explained. But Kacie was still unsure of what he was saying.

"Small things... good or bad?" He smiled at her.

"All good. They're your quirks, Kace. The best things about you!" He exclaimed, smiling. She smiled, although she didn't quite know how to respond.

"I'm not sure how we can look so much when we're so different from each other," she said, speaking her mind. Darry shrugged.

"It really is a wonder. You're sweet and kind, and she's... a mental case. You look almost exactly the same, but maybe it's the eyes, but you just look-and seem too- much more welcoming," he said. Kacie didn't ask what welcoming meant, pretty sure she already knew. The next question on the tip of her tongue was one probably more embarrassing. And private.

"Why did you go on a date with my sister and not me?" She asked. You could see the look of surprise from Darry, in his eyes, written on his face.

"She asked me. No girls ever really ask me out, so I figured I'd better say yes," he admitted. "Although maybe I should have picked you." It was almost a mumble, but Kacie heard him, and ended up staring at him, in wonderment, excitement, ecstasy.

A/N: When I published the first chapter of this story the other day during homeroom, I started crying because I didn't want to let Kacie go yet, and now every day my friend Michael asks me how "that story that made you cry" is going. Comment what I should tell him tomorrow? -Katy