Chapter 3

Friday night came, and Friday went, much slower than it came, to Kacie's utter dismay.

"You're actually want to come?" Piper, appalled, asked her step sister, who had decided that no matter what, she would come.

"Positive, Piper. What's the harm in me going?" She asked, making the other girl sigh. The both knew the harm of her intruding on the date. For one thing, Kacie would definitely tattletale to Mom like the little kid she once was if Piper didn't let her go. And Piper knew it would get her grounded, for at least a month.

"God, you're no fair," Piper said under her breath.

"And you're no fun," Kacie said back, starting another petty, sisterly fight, which ended up going on until Darry rang the doorbell. The both raced to get it, but ended up finding themselves there at the same time. Fighting over who would open the door, they got a glance at Darry, leaning in the doorway.

"Hi," they said at the same time, as soon as the door opened.

"Hey girls," he said in response, chuckling to himself. Piper smiled, but Kacie felt herself turning red and asked, "You heard the arguing, didn't you?" He nodded, giving them both his handsome, good-natured smile.

"Now who's date am I tonight?" He joked. Neither of the girls laughed. Piper looked at him, almost like she was expecting something.

"Uh, my car's right over here if you're ready to go," he said. They both nodded, grabbing their purses from the table. Together, the three of them walked out to the car.

Of course, Piper complained that there wasn't enough room for Kacie and she should just stay home, but Darry apologized, saying this was his parents car, and much to Piper's dismay, insisted that if the sister was okay in the backseat, she was welcome to come. Piper complained. The entire time. Through the ride there, the entire three hours they spent there, and the whole ride back.

They all preformed solos, Darry's being surprisingly the best, and he urged the two girls to do a duet. He decided that Piper's high soprano voice would blend perfectly with Kacie's sweet sounding alto. Kacie refused, although Piper was all in, trying to impress the boy. That was only part of the reason Kacie didn't want to.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Well, thanks for the lovely night," Piper said to Darry, the sarcasm radiating in the sweet tone of her voice. He didn't say anything, but watched her walk off.

"Man, she's a tool," Darry commented to Kacie as soon as Piper was out of the distance that she could hear him.

"I'm sorry about her," Kacie said apologetically.

"I guess I should have listened to you," he responded, shaking his head.

"Yeah, it wasn't exactly a joke," she said, referring to her earlier warning about how "evil" Piper is.

"Well, I'll know for next time, I guess," Darry said.

"There's gonna be a next time?" Kacie asked, half surprised and half jokingly.

"Not with her anyways," he laughed. She nodded, understanding, and half hoping that he meant there would be one, but with her this time.

"So..." He shoved his hands in his pockets.

"So," she did the same, but tried to smile and not be as awkward as she felt.

"Big math test on Monday," Darry reminded her. She nodded, sinking her head low.

"I'm so going to fail," she emphasized. Darry gave her a sympathetic smile.

"Why don't you come over on Sunday morning? We can study then and you can help me watch Pony and Soda. We can have lunch at my place and maybe go out to dinner if you have time," he suggested. Kacie's heart fluttered, and she closed her eyes so she wouldn't faint.

Of course she'd been to his house before, but only once or twice. Every Monday and Thursday Darry would come to her house to tutor her, and only a handful of times were her parents too busy to house him, so he would suggest they go to his house.

"That sounds great. Thank you so much, Darry," she said, gratefully.

"No problem, Kace. See you then? 10:00?" He asked. She nodded, smiling excitedly and watched as he got back in his car and drove off. She couldn't for the life of her wipe the smile off her face. Which didn't make Piper too happy when she walked into her bedroom.

"What are you smiling about, Kacie?"  Piper demanded angrily when her stepsister strolled in a few minutes later. Kacie tried to wipe the smile off, but she was just too happy. Nothing in this world could ruin her mood.

"He invited me over on Sunday," she said, not even stopping to think about who she was saying this to.

"He what?" Piper demanded. She sounded mad. Angry. Enraged even.

"To study for a math test," Kacie said, laughing. She couldn't remember the last time she laughed around Piper, who was blushing out of embarrassment now.

"Oh... oh. Good. Y-you need that," she said. Kacie nodded, changing into her pajamas. Piper was already in hers, tucked safely under the covers. When Kacie was finished changing, she turned off the light and walked over to her bed.

"Goodnight, Pip. Thanks for taking me tonight," she said. She felt like a changed person. She was smiling, happy even, and it was the first time in probably years that she had thanked her sister for something not in a totally sarcastic way.

"Shut up and go to sleep, Kace. I think someone spiked your drink." You could almost hear Piper's eye roll, but you could tell that Kacie's change of mood had helped her a bit too.

"No one spiked my drink. We didn't get drinks, remember? You wouldn't even let Darry -who was paying- order one because you didn't think a Greaser could afford one." She felt a little bit bad about it, especially when it happened, but now she was laughing. At least Darry understood what she was talking about now. Her sister was snobby and stuck up, and even when the both of them were in good moods, Kacie though that was all her step-sister would ever be.

A/N: Surprise update! Is this story any good? I'm liking this writing style, tbh, but I'm not so sure about the story itself. Is Kacie likable? 😂I'm obsessed, but worried that you guys aren't.