Chapter 4

• Dedicated to Krystina Wade

 This chapter is dedicated to my very best friend :) She has always been there for me even through the hard times!!!! The past year has been hard on our relationship after I moved off to high school...... but I know that she will always be there for me :) thanks Krystina :)

          Hillcrest is a 5 hour drive from our house, it would be a long drive in a crammed truck, but I knew it would be worth it in the end.

          I was nervous to be living away from my parents, and I would have to make new friends. That reminded me, going to this school means that I would have to leave my best friend, Krystina behind.

          I reached down into my bag and grabbed out my iphone, I dialled Krystina’s phone number. “Hey Krystina, its Katie,” I said when Krystina picked up the phone.

          “Oh, hey Katie!” answered Krystina, “Are you at the academy yet?”

          “No, no, we still have a long way to go,” I sighed “we have only been traveling for two hours, and there is still about another three to go.”

          “I miss you already, and I talked to you just before you left,” she said.

          “Same here,” I replied, “I don’t know what I am going to do without you!”

          “We will have to Skype every night until fall break.”

          “Agreed,” I had been friends with Krystina since I was only four years old, and this was the first time that we would be away from each other for more than two weeks. At school we were always hip to hip.

          “I have beach volleyball, so I am going to have to go, but you will have to send me pictures of your dorm,” she told me.

          “I will, talk to you later. Bye!” and then I hung up the phone.

I sat back on my seat to relax, but it was hard when your horse is a very restless traveler. Lexus is fine when loading and unloading him in/out of the trailer, but when you are driving, he can’t settle down.  

          “Mom,” I said, “Are we here yet?” I joked.

          “No, dear we still have a long ways to go,” she replied.

˜˜˜

          “We are here,” I said as I stuck my head out of the truck window. We were driving up the paved drive way towards the stables. 

It was quiet because everyone was in their second day of classes. My mom had talked to the headmistress yesterday about my situations. She told my mom that I would be able to catch up easily, and that I would not have to stress about the work until I got settled.

My mom and dad dropped my off at the barn to Lexus stable while they walked off to the administration’s office. I unloaded Lexus from the trailer. He was a little tense as Lexus noticed the new stable, but he had been to so many away shows by now, that it did not bother him.

I walked Lexus into the front entrance of the stable. I was astonished by how beautiful the barn has been kept. The barn had beautiful brick work and perfectly white fences. “Wow” I murmured under my breath. There was so much to look at I was unable to take it all in.

“Beautiful, isn’t it boy!” I said “You will be staying somewhere in here.” I walked down the hallway looking for the name plate that had ‘Lexus- Amazing in Motion.’ Amazing in Motion is his registered name. I love Lexus’ registered name because it is the slogan for the Lexus car adds.

At the very end of the barn in the main hallway, there it was his stall with a huge tack trunk in front. I slide open the sliding door, and lead Lexus into the stall. I was surprised by how roomy it was in there. I gave Lexus a big hug around the neck before I stepped out of the stall, closed the door, and walked down to the stable office.

As I stepped into the office, I noticed an instructor sitting at his desk, “Hello, Katelyn, or should I call you Katie.”       

“Katie is fine,” I replied, “And you are Mr. Rooks.”

“It is nice to finally formally meet you,” said Mr. Rooks holding out his hand.

I shook his hand, and then said “Agreed, I hope you don’t mind I already put Lexus into his stall.”

“Of course I don’t, it will be his stall for the rest of year,” he said as I walked back towards the door to put the rest of his tack away. “Before you leave, I have your key,” he held out a small key on a keychain with the number 34 on it.

“For what?” I asked unsure of what the key would open.

“Your tack locker in the tack room, and your tack trunk,” he stated.

“I get a tack locker too!” I was now getting very excited; I suspected that I would have to keep some of my riding gear in my room.

“It is even heated,” he added, “Now run along, you have a lot of unpacking to do before tomorrow.”

I walked out the door and to the tack room he was right, the tack room was heated. Its amazing polish made the wood in tack room look as if it has never been touched before.  

I gave Lexus a flake of hay to munch on while I went to go check to on my parents in the administration’s office.