Chapter 6

It took a while, but when I was done putting all of my tack away I decided that it would be fun to exercise Lexus. I passed many girls on the way down to Lexus’s stall; they were all tacking up their horses for their lesson later on tonight.

          “Hey bud,” I said as I walked into his stall. “I am going to give you some exercise.”

          Quickly I tacked up Lexus and I threw on his lime green saddle pad and matching polo wraps. I adjusted my helmet on my head before I walked out into the arena.

          The arena was empty; I warmed up Lexus and then turned on some music to practise my dressage tests to music. The first song that I played was ‘Good Girl,’ by Carrie Underwood. I loved to ride to music because it made riding so much more fun.

          I trotted to and halted on X, then I tracked left and picked up a working trot that matched the rhythm of the song. As I went along I had done many flying lead changes and pirouettes. I could feel a large grin grow across my face as finished the song up with a piaffe (an attempt at a piaffe) and then into a halt.

          “Wow that was amazing,” I jumped in a saddle surprised to hear a voice. It was a girl leading a tall bay Dutch Warmblood. I guessed that he was about 16.2 hands high and only looked about five years old because he looked very skittish. “I have never seen you around here before,” she added.

          “I just arrived here today, and um thanks,” I said shyly while I walked over to where the girl was standing.

          “That is cool,” she replied, “my name is McKenzie by the way, and this here is my horse Renaissance, but everyone calls him Rennie.”

          “I love the name,” I said “I am Katelyn but please call my Katie, and this here is Amazing at Moving, but his barn name is Lexus.”

          “That adorable, Lexus like the name of that car company right?” asked McKenzie.

          “Yup,” I smiled because not many people understood why his barn name is Lexus at first. “Do you have a lesson soon?” I asked.

          “Ya, the advanced group has a lesson in about ten minutes,” she told me.

          “Ok, then I will be leaving soon,” I started to cool off Lexus.

          A voice came from behind me, “there is no need. I would like to test you anyways to see what group you are going to ride in.”

          I spun around, and noticed that it was Mr. Rooks. “Um, ok,” I replied, “What would you like me to do?” I asked.

          “Nothing much, I already saw your little dressage routine, so all that is left is jumping.” Mr. Rooks told me, “Great job by the way on your little dressage test.” Then he turned around and started to set up a jump course.

          My cheeks had gone rosy red when Mr. Rooks complimented me, and my confidence went up. I noticed that Mr. Rooks set up a small course of about 5 jumps and they were only about 2’6 jumps.

          “Ok, I would like you to take the blue vertical on the diagonal towards me, then bend it to the oxer on the quarter line,” Mr. Rooks pointed out the jumps to me, “then take the red and white striped fan to the one stride. Sound easy enough?”

          “Sounds good,” I replied as I clucked Lexus into a good working canter. I cantered a small circle once before lining myself up for the first vertical. I counted my strides to the jump, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, jump. Then we rose in the air and landed clean on the other side.

As I tuned Lexus to the second part of the bending line, I could feel him bending too far right but I kept my right leg on to keep him straight. I made it over in ease and then I lined for the fan.

As we got closer I accidently pulled him back too much and Lexus had to take off really close causing the top rail to fall down.

I was disappointed, but I did not lose my focus because I still had the one stride left. Without a hesitation, we made it over the one stride clean. I pulled Lexus to a halt beside Mr. Rooks.

I sighed in disappointment and expected that Mr. Rooks would put me into a beginner group. “I pulled him back too much and he had to leave a step late,” I told Mr. Rooks.

“That is exactly right, I am very proud that you are able to correct your mistake, and because of that I think that I would like to put you in the advance team.”

“But I knocked a rail down,” I protested.

“Yes, but I have already seen before remember?” he explained, “but if you don’t want to be on the advanced team, then I will put you onto the intermediate team.”

“No, no, I really want to be on the advanced team, but I am very surprised,” I stated.

“Then work hard and show me that my choice was a good one,” Mr. Rooks then turned around and took the jumps down as I went outside to cool of Lexus. “Make sure to come by my office before you leave today.”

“I will,” I replied.

Lexus was pretty sweaty and I took my time with brushing Lexus because I had to wait until Mr. Rooks was done with the advanced team.

Short chapter sorry :( but at least I was able to update. I still hope you enjoy it :)

Please vote, comment, fan, or just keep reading!!!!!! Thanks