Chapter 1

"Are you excited about getting started?" Mama asked, neatly brushing my hair to the back so she could tie it into a proper knot.

"Of course I am." I told her honestly.

I could see mama's smile of approval in the reflection of the mirror as she finished up my hair. "Now, miss Vivian can be a bit intimidating, but as long as you do as you're told you should be just fine. Victor senior is always too busy on his phone anyway, so he shouldn't be much of a bother."

I smiled before turning towards her, away from the mirror and took her hands into mine. "I'm not worried, mama." I told her in a reassuring tone. Honestly, I wasn't nervous about starting my first job as an official maid. Maybe those nerves were yet to come?

My sisters and mama were all maids too, you see. Every woman in our family had been, for many generations. Most of us would already start at the age of 15, but I was given the chance to take a few extra years so I could add culinary classes to my certifications, instead of just cleaning.

Mama wouldn't stop telling me how proud she was of me once I came home from the academy.

People would sometimes ask me, why in the world would you want to willingly become a maid, when you could be so much more? But I didn't really mind. I didn't exactly have dreams or other ambitions. This was all I knew. And I wasn't about to break family tradition.

So today was going to be my first day working at the residency of Vivian Fuentes and Victor Fuentes senior. Mama had been the maid to miss Vivian's parents for many years, even watched her grow up. That was why she requested someone of our family to work for her too. My eldest sister Mariana was her first choice, but she kindly declined, as she didn't want to give up her chance of working for the Perry family- another family that we had been serving for several generations.

Of course I gladly accepted.

"Let me take a look at you." Mama said, getting up from her stool and pulling me up with her. She then let go of my hands and took a step back, a sparkle of pride in her eyes as she looked at me from head to toe. "You look absolutely perfect, darling." She beamed happily.

I just smiled bashfully. Her happiness was enough to satisfy me.

Mama had gotten the okay from old lady Da Silva, her current boss, to leave, so she could drive me up to meet miss Vivian and her husband. My sister Mariana told me that they lived in a very big house, although they were hardly ever home.

Apparently they were very successful business people, and practically addicted to their job. I also understood that they had two sons, but she couldn't tell me much about them. All I knew was that their youngest was my age, and their eldest was 19.

Mama dropped me off, checking my appearance one last time before kissing my cheek, wishing me good luck and driving away, but not before I got my suitcase out of the trunk. A part of being a full time professional maid was that you had to live in the residence of the people who hired you. Perhaps that was the one part I didn't precisely look forward to, but only because I would miss my family, and mostly my grandmamma.

She retired a long time ago, so her, all the others in our family who had already retired, and the youngest ones who hadn't started working yet, all lived together.

I took a deep breath as I walked up the massive driveway that led to the front door of the house. My sister had been right; the house was huge. I prayed to god to give me enough strength to be able to clean all of it day in and day out. Considering that two teenage boys lived here, it was probably a mess fairly quickly.