Chapter 8

I was cleaning the bathrooms, yawning every few minutes due to lack of sleep. And I was repeatedly kicking myself mentally for the reason why.

Vic was the reason why. Ever since he'd kissed my cheek and basically confirmed that we did actually have sort of a date, I couldn't get him off my mind. I mean, I always thought about him, wondering whether he was okay and all... but this was different.

I yawned again, glad that it was almost time for my break. I finished cleaning the bathroom near the kitchen and made my way upstairs, to the one across from miss Vivian's and Victor senior's office.

As I started to clean, I heard miss Vivian on the phone. Her office door was open, so I could easily hear what she was saying. It was none of my business what she talked about though, and I didn't really listen, until I heard her mention a specific thing. Or more like, a specific person.

"...Mother, I just wish that he was more like Michael. I mean, he was rebellious and got himself into heaps of trouble when he was younger, but look where he's at now. He's doing great in college, he's got some proper friends... he even told me that he has a girlfriend now and she does the same classes as him! I can't even begin to say the same for Victor."

I frowned at the way she spoke his name with such disappointment. She was praising Mike like he was a god, and of course there was nothing wrong with taking pride in your own son... but what about Vic? He deserved just as much love and praise.

A parent shouldn't love one child over the other. I know my mama never chose me over my sisters or vice versa. We were all equal.

"No mother, I refuse to get him professional help. You know what happened last time we did that! He came up with this utterly ridiculous story about his guidance counselor, to which my foolish husband dragged the man to court, then we lost the case because there wasn't enough evidence, and we ended up being the laughing stock of town! I am telling you, he is just doing all of this for attention, and I'm not letting him out of there until he gets over himself. I mean, what guidance counselor would do such things? It's just utterly ridiculous."

So something happened between Vic and a guidance counselor? And that as the cause of all of this? I really wondered what happened that affected Vic so badly, especially since it ended up in court?

I couldn't believe how miss Vivian, his own mother for crying out loud, could claim that he was merely asking for attention. Clearly Vic was depressed and in need of help, but she was just going to refuse him?

Miss Vivian walked up to her office door, noticing me in the door opening of the bathroom just across from her office, and quickly closed her door with a look of disapproval on her face. It was only then that I noticed how I had stopped working and just stood there with a mop in my hands while I listened in on the conversation.

Oops.

When the door was closed, however, I could no longer hear what she was saying. I felt even more terrible for Vic now, though. He didn't deserve this. He didn't need to 'get over himself' if anything, being locked in that room made it all worse.

After miss Vivian finally left the house, Victor senior already being gone for a while, I immediately made my way to Vic's room.

For some reason, ever since that whole conversation between miss Vivian and her mother, something just felt wrong. I had this lingering feeling in my stomach that something bad was about to happen. But maybe since now I knew a little more about Vic's background, I was just more worried.

I always worried easily about others, but I had really come to care about Vic. There was just something so gentle about him. He was different. Although that was probably a really standard word to describe someone, it was true. But Vic definitely wasn't standard.