Chapter 3

early morning update for you lovely people because I need to do a lot of stuff today that makes my anxiety level friggin skyrocket... so I thought hey maybe if I come back from that I can come home to something fun like notifications! yeah I doubt it xD

anyways... enjoy! :)

--------------------

"You can sit down, if you want." Vic suggested softly, pointing his finger at the end of the bed.

I didn't want to seem rude, so I slowly made my way to his bed and sat down on the edge at the far end. It was only then that I noticed how tired his eyes looked and just how terrifyingly skinny he was. Even though he had, dare I think it, especially handsome features, he looked exhausted and somewhat unhealthy, to put it kindly.

"Are you feeling okay?" I noticed myself asking. It was a stupid question though; anyone could see that he was far from okay.

"You're the first one to ask me that in a long time." Vic said, a single corner of his mouth curling into the smallest of smiles, as he stared down at his lap.

"I-I'm sorry."

"I don't mind." He looked up at me again, that same sad look in his eyes like before. "You seem like a kind person. What's your name anyway?"

Oh god, how stupid of me, I hadn't even introduced myself to the poor guy. "My name's Kellianne. But my family mostly just calls me Kelli. I'm the new-"

"The new maid, yeah, I kinda figured by your outfit." Vic interrupted me. I blushed in embarrassment. Duh, of course he did. "It must be nice to have a family call you anything." He then spoke sourly.

I looked at him questioningly, not really understanding what he meant by that. Were miss Vivian and her husband really that terrible to him, or was there more to it?

Wait; hold on, if he was locked in here all this time, how was he getting food? Were they starving him too?!

"Do-do I need to get you something to eat?" I asked softly, earning a sarcastic chuckle from Vic. A moment of silence fell between us, as I looked at him, confused.

"I don't exactly eat much, if you can't tell." Vic then finally spoke, breaking the silence again. "There's a shit ton of granola bars in the dresser... sometimes I have some, but I don't really feel like eating most of the time. A lot of times it comes back out too."

I stared at him with worry. "Why won't you eat?" That was something I really didn't understand. I mean, food is amazing. Food is life! I'd die without my nana's delicious tacos. Okay, I wouldn't really die, but you get the point, right?

"I don't know. I just don't want to." Vic spoke softly, shrugging as he did.

Well, I was definitely determined to change at least that. Maybe the previous maid was a bad cook? Miss Vivian and her husband probably were. The kitchen looked barely touched when I arrived here, so that's what I kinda figured.

However, that still didn't explain why he was locked in this room.

"Kellianne, where are you?"

My heart sank and my eyes widened as I heard miss Vivian call out my name. "Oh crap." I breathed anxiously as I looked back at the door. If she found me in here I'd probably be fired on the spot! I'd be so dead!

"Wow, she actually got your name right." Vic murmured sarcastically. "Go, get out of here." He then urged me, making me look back at him. "Just don't forget to lock up again, I don't want her getting mad at you for being in here."

"I'm sorry." It was all I could think of to say at that moment. I quickly got off the bed and made my way to the door.

"Will I see you again?" Vic then asked just as I was about to walk out.

I looked back at him over my shoulder, smiling lightly. "If you want to." I offered.

He nodded, almost a little eagerly. I then mouthed a soft 'bye' and left the room, quickly locking the door behind me again.

With my heart beating loudly in my chest, I speed-walked down the hallway and towards the staircase, quickly resuming my duties as if I had been the entire time.

"Oh there you are." Miss Vivian said as she walked up to me, her heels clicking loudly on the floor. "I was just wanting to ask you if you could help the gardener clear out the patio."

I knew it wasn't exactly a question though. "Of course, miss." I simply said, making a quick polite bow, earning an approving smile from miss Vivian in return.

"You're doing a good job so far." She then complimented. "Now go on and help Jaime."

I performed the same bow again. "Yes miss, thank you miss." I quickly said before scurrying off downstairs.

I sighed in relief when I was well out of sight from miss Vivian. I had been so close to getting caught, a little too close honestly. If I was in fact ever going back to see Vic, I had to be a lot more careful. I was somewhat lucky that miss Vivian's clicking of her heels was so incredibly obnoxious that you could probably hear it from a mile away, but I would have to start paying better attention to that.

I made my way into the garden; luckily it was nice and sunny out that day. It was a typical California summer day, actually. I met up with Jaime, who was more than grateful for the help. He just trimmed the bushes around the patio, but the place had gotten so messy.

Anyway, miss Vivian said he wasn't allowed to go until it was all cleaned up, even though the end of his day had already come. "Yeah, she's a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes, but don't say I said that." Jaime told me, laughing a little.

I chuckled softly, holding up the trash bag as he filled it with the debris of that was left of the bushes. Compared to how his hair was styled, the garden looked so neat after every time he was finished with yet another part.

"What do you know about miss Vivian's son?" I decided to ask Jaime, feeling that I could trust him with such a question. He seemed to know miss Vivian well enough, and he had been here a lot longer than I had. I just couldn't get the whole thing with Vic out of my mind at this point.

"Who? Mike?" Jaime asked. "He's a cool guy. He's off at college at the moment. Don't really remember what he's studying. He should be back in a couple of weeks for summer holidays though. Why, are you interested in him?" A smirk appeared on Jaime's face at that last part.

I instantly crunched my nose. "No, of course not. I don't even know him!" I said defensively. And that wasn't even the son I meant. "I was referring to Vic, actually."

Jaime momentarily stopped what he was doing and looked at me with a questioning frown. "Why would you wanna know about Vic?" He asked.

I simply shrugged in response, not really knowing what to say and not about to tell him that I met him just now. I didn't know how far I could go with trusting him.

Jaime bent down again, continuing the cleanup as he spoke. "Well, he actually was one of my best friends." He told me. "We went to school together and everything. He was a bit of a downer sometimes, but one of the best people I knew."

"What happened?" I asked, seeing as he was talking in past tense.

"I don't know, honestly. The previous maid said that he went crazy or something. His parents won't allow me to see him anymore and I'm actually not supposed to be talking about this either..." Jaime then trailed off, once he realized what he was saying.

"I won't tell anyone." I promised him. And I meant it.

I didn't really believe that Vic was crazy though. Surely, if he were, they would have him see someone right? No, he wasn't crazy, Jaime probably didn't know better. The previous maid probably didn't know better either. I really wondered for how long Vic had been locked up in that room, and for what reason precisely.

I was determined to find out sooner rather than later.