Chapter 12

so somebody broke the internet modem which is why I haven't had internet at home since sunday night... so I literally spent my birthday being bored at home binge-watching '2 Broke Girls' and writing but it's alright... I am back! so yeah, sorry for the long wait.

--------------------

I frantically ran and made my way to the front gate of the long driveway. I rammed my hand on the button desperately, not that it would make the gate open any faster, but I just couldn't help myself.

When it finally had opened a few inches, I squeezed myself through and started running down the street. Every second mattered. Every second that I wasn't there could be the second that Vic would jump off that bridge.

Dear god, I hoped that I wasn't too late already.

I ran and I ran, giving it literally all I had to get to that damned bridge as fast as my feet could possibly carry me.

I ran like a mental person, not caring one bit about the people who were staring at me as I past them. Until one point my shoe got caught behind something and I flopped forward onto my hands and my bare knees.

Of course I could feel the burning pain surge through me as my skin scraped over the asphalt, but that didn't matter right now. I quickly hoisted myself back up onto my feet, kicking off the stupid heels that I was wearing, and started running again.

Please let me make it there in time.

Please.

I finally neared the end of the street, already out of breath, just as I spotted the beginning of the bridge just a few hundred feet up ahead. My heart sank when I couldn't see anyone familiar on the bridge, but I wasn't about to give up.

I took a deep breath and ran again. I ran straight up to the bridge, and when I was about halfway over it, that's when I saw him.

It was Vic. He was still there. He hadn't jumped yet. I felt a sense of relief, but I had to remind myself that this wasn't over just yet. I knew that he was about to jump. I could tell by the way that he was standing.

He had managed to climb over the bridge's railing. Facing the water beneath him, he balanced himself with his heels on the outer edge of the bridge, while his hands firmly held onto the bannister behind him. The strong wind surged through his hair as he stared down at the dark, cold river that led out to the sea.

I quietly approached him, not wanting to scare him with my presence. My heart was pounding in my throat. I was so scared for him.

"Vic, please don't do this." I found myself saying to him, a little louder than I had intended.

He turned his head, his eyes going wide once they fell on me. "No!" He yelled, letting go of the railing with one hand, motioning for me to stop. "Don't come any closer! I need to do this, Kell, I have to."

He sounded so desperate, so convinced that there was no other way.

"You don't have to do this. Vic, please listen to me." I pleaded sadly, feeling my heart beating faster with every small step that I took towards him.

Vic then put his hand back on the railing and looked back down at the water, leaning further forward. "I do have to." He said with determination. "It will be better for everyone. Just go away and let me do this, please."

I was close enough to see the tears dropping from his eyes and falling down into the depths below. He hesitated. I could see it in his movements. I could see it in how white his knuckles were from holding so tightly onto the railing.