Chapter Three

Stiles sighed again and continued doing his calculus homework. Maybe if he looked long enough the problems would start to make sense. He had been very preoccupied lately, and reasonably so.

Late Monday night, the night of his eighteenth birthday, he woke up with a surprised shout. The skin on his neck burned and when he ran to the bathroom to see what was happening he saw it for the first time. It had three simple swirls that took up most of the right side of his neck. His mark.

Stiles' father had told him that this was coming. He was an omega and was now eighteen. His father was a strong alpha and the sheriff of Beacon Hills. He had prepared Stiles for this.

Stiles' mother was gone. She died from a rare form of brain cancer that killed werewolves. All of his life Stiles had been raised by his dad. The mark his parents shared was a simple triangle with a star at the very top. He remembered seeing it on his mothers hand and it was still on his father's chest. Every day his father woke up and proudly looked at his mark. Stiles knew he missed his wife greatly.

He knocked on the older mans door. "Dad!" he called.

"What Stiles?" came a slightly annoyed voice.

"It happened," Stiles whispered back.

"""

So sue Stiles if he couldn't concentrate on calculus. With his already impending ADHD and now the thought of a possible mate somewhere out there with the same mark as him was a little thought consuming.

He itched at the tattoo imbedded in his skin and sighed again. Algorithms bored him and he saw them unnecessary to everyday life. Sure, maybe algebra really was crucial to existence, but Stiles doubted it.

The doorbell rang and Stiles went down the stairs two at a time. What if it was them? What if it was his alpha coming to sweep him off his feet and carry him away into the sunset?

Instead, when Stiles opened the door Scott's happy eyes were staring back at him. Stiles sighed. "What do you want Scott?" he asked his long time best friend.

"Dude! Your neck!"

Stiles grinned. "I know," he whispered. He rubbed over the mark again, although he couldn't feel anything he knew it was there. "It happened last night."

"I know I saw you yesterday, but happy birthday, man. This is great! I'm so excited for you. What do you think my mark will look like?" Scott was younger than Stiles by a few months so he didn't have his mark yet.

"I'm not sure."

Scott just grinned at Stiles' neck while he led the way to the living room, getting ready to play Stiles' Xbox. Stiles knew he should be finishing homework, but what could a few games hurt?

"""

The next day when he got home from school an unfamiliar car was parked next to his dad's cruiser. He walked inside to find his father in the living room with a stranger he had never seen before. The man had jet black hair and a godly sculpted jaw. He wore worn out jeans and a Henley topped of with a warm looking leather jacket.

The stranger stood as soon as Stiles entered the room, looking at him with wide eyes. Stiles couldn't tell what color they were but he could tell they were beautiful.

The man opened his mouth and broke the silence, "I'm Derek, your alpha."