Chapter Five

That night, Derek found himself sitting beside Stiles on the boys bed. He felt so good for the first time since he was of age for a mate. He couldn't have asked for a better person to spend the rest of his days with. Stiles was funny and clumsy and everything that Derek wasn't. He was a genuinely happy kid and his eyes shined bright with every word he muttered.

They talked all night. Learned everything they could about each other until the early morning. "Do you have school tomorrow?" Derek asked, concerned that he had kept the boy up far too long.

Stiles only smiled. "My dad said to forget about the rest of the week, he knows what it feels like to find a mate."

Derek nodded in agreement. It was Wednesday so he wouldn't be missing too much school. And not to be the clingy type, but Derek couldn't image being separated from the boy longer than the few minutes it took to shower in the morning.

"I would like you to meet my family. I will talk to your father about it tomorrow if you wish me to. I live in a small town in Arizona near the border. It's a few hours away and will take most of the day to get there. I would like to leave tomorrow."

Stiles' eyes went wide. "What if your family doesn't like me?" It was clear he was worried.

Derek sniggered a bit. "Trust me, they'll love you."

"Okay..." Stiles said slowly. "I would like you to meet my best friend Scott too. Maybe when you bring me back home after we meet your family? He's practically a brother to me and means a lot."

"Of course," Derek agreed easily. "I will meet anyone you would like me too."

They continued talking before Stiles started to drift off to sleep. Derek only smiled as the young man curled into his side. How could he be so lucky?

"""

The long car ride began early in the morning. Far too early for Stiles. Derek's car was sweet tho. She purred like he had never heard and was much smoother than his own baby.

He cuddled further into the warm jacket that Derek had given him when they stepped out into the brisk cool morning. Although alphas were always quite warm, omegas where very effected by the weather changes. They were approaching the colder months and even though  California didn't suffer a huge temperature change, it still made Stiles' core shiver.

Smooth jazz rolled quietly through the cars speakers. Stiles could only smile at how accurately it fit Derek. He frowned slightly, a thought coming into his mind.

"How will we make this work? We live hours away from each other and I'm still in school. I can't just quit school to go live with you and I can't image you are going to leave your family. The way you talk about them... they're important to you, I can tell."

Derek sighed. "I've been thinking about that. I would like you to come and live with me after you finish your schooling. Until then I will just continue to visit between you and my family. The drive isn't really all that bad. And I'll always be with you during the weekends, no matter if it's at your house or mine. We'll figure things out Stiles, don't worry about it now." Derek offered his right hand to Stiles and Stiles gripped it hard.

"That sounds really nice," he whispered. He still couldn't believe that he was sitting beside his mate. It had all happened so fast.