Chapter Thirteen

Theo was his name. Stiles decided he didn't like him from he start. He was brash, uncaring and something was just wrong about him. The air around the young alpha seemed to glisten with trouble and sure enough, he had two bands around his wrist identical to Scott's mark.

But Scott, he was in love. His alpha had come to him and nothing could be more right in the world. And Stiles understood. When he had met Derek, things had just seemed to fall into place. But something was wrong and he could tell.

"""

Derek sighed, rubbing his mates back while he fumed.

"I just don't understand why Scott doesn't see it!" Stiles went on. Stiles had pulled his best friend aside shortly after Theo had arrived, warning him that something was up with that guy. But Scott just brushed him off, asking why he couldn't have the support he deserved from someone so close to him. Stiles hadn't confronted him since, feeling as if he were being rude. But he knew something just wasn't right!

As Derek lie listening to Stiles' concerns, he pondered his own. Blue eyes, indicating the killing of an innocent, was never a good sign. He hadn't know Scott for long but he never the less felt the urge to protect the young omega.

Derek kissed Stiles' forehead, then the corner of his mouth. "Let's not think about it for tonight, baby." The sheriff was out and he planned to spend the week the best way he could and arguing over Theo was not in his plans.

Stiles lightly moaned at the contact, wiggling closer to Derek under the covers. "I've missed you so much," he whispered, eyes shut tight.

"I'm here now," Derek responded, kissing Stiles again, this time more firmly, letting his hands roam his omegas lithe body. With pleasant moans and light touches, the night progressed further than Derek may have intended.

"""

As Derek headed home he worried for his mate and his new found friend. Scott has become infatuated with this mysterious Theo while Derek had only been able to pull a few details out of the guy. His family died when he was young. His sister and him lived in a foster care program until Theo aged out and his sister was murdered. Along with his harsh upbringing, he didn't seem to have a life to get back to. Melisa, Scott's mother, had greeted him with open arms but Derek could tell she had become weary very fast as well.

As everyone began to doubt Theo's intentions, Scott began to go into defensive mode. Derek worried about the strain it was putting on his and Stiles' relationship. The two had been thick as thieves before Theo's arrival but now Stiles seemed to fume about Scott nightly over the phone and the two didn't seem to be spending much time together anymore.

"I just don't understand," Stiles said defeated one night. "He has no intentions of listening to me. I can't even get him away from Theo for two seconds. Did you know that they plan to move into an apartment in town once school is out? I just know something is wrong Derek, but he won't listen to me. I thought we were friends."

Derek sighed, thinking of the situation. On one hand, Theo and Scott has every right as a mated pair to progress with their relationship. Stiles was merely a friend and had no power over either of them. But on the other hand, something was very off about Theo. Derek couldn't place it but he felt something evil underneath the young mans polished exterior.

All he could do was reassure his mate and try to ease his worrying. There was nothing either of them could do at the moment and it was clear Scott wasn't up for suggestions on his love life.

"I just wish you were here," Stiles whispered.

"I know. A few more months and you'll be coming up to live with me. We can make it."

"Have you heard anything else about the loft?" Stiles asked.

Derek had recently been looking into leasing a loft for when Stiles came to live in Arizona after his graduation. He didn't want to be far from his family but he understood his mates, and his own frankly, concern about privacy. The two had quite a bit of catching up to do when Stiles finally made his way out there.

"I have. It's a done deal. I sign the lease in April and you move in in the end of May. You have no need to worry about anything."

"I know," Stiles replied. "I'm just so excited is all. But I'm worried about my dad."

"There's nothing to worry about. We can visit as much as you like," Derek replied.

"I know," Stiles sighed, again. "I really love you, Derek."

"I really love you, too, Stiles," Derek replied. With Scott temporarily out of mind, Derek could only think of what the future had to hold with his mate, and it seemed to be bright.

A/N: So... life happened. Sorry about that. I hope you enjoyed this WAY overdue chapter.