Chapter Eleven

The first week that the mates spent apart was the hardest. Stiles had school and Derek had family obligations. As Cora and Daniel curled together on the sofa, Derek sighed and made his way to his room.

He ungracefully fell onto his bed and rolled to the side Stiles had claimed his and buried his face in the pillow. His mates sent was still strong and Derek pulled his phone out of his pocket. It was almost ten o'clock at night but he knew the boy would be awake.

The phone rang twice before an eager Stiles picked up the other end. "Hello?" responded a hopeful voice.

Derek smiled and settled into his bed a little more. "Hello, beautiful."

"Hey, Der," Stiles sighed in relief.

"I miss you," Derek whispered through the phone. After the full moon, the couple couldn't have been closer. Stiles now bore the mark, that Derek still regretted, with pride and they both got a little stronger for it. Phone calls happened nightly when they couldn't spend the nights together in person, but they were never quite enough.

"I miss you, too. One more day, right?"

"One more," Derek confirmed. In one more day he would once again hold his mate in the safety of his arms.

"""

"You're nervous, calm down," Derek commanded as he squeezed the back of the boys neck, centering the omega.

"What if he doesn't like you?" Stiles replied, still fretting. "Or what if you see him and realize that he would make a better omega than me? What if you leave me for him?" Stiles looked up into Derek's eyes with fear in his own.

"That is very unrealistic." Derek sealed his rebuttal with a kiss to the tip of Stiles' nose. "You are my mate, not Scott, not someone else, you."

Stiles sighed and relaxed back against Derek.

"He's your best friend, I'm sure we'll get along just fine."

The doorbell rang and Stiles jumped out of his skin. "Go answer it," Derek prompted him with a nudge. It was a big day and the alpha could fell the anxiety building in his omega.

Derek stood as the two omegas came around the corner. The new boy wasn't taller than Stiles, but definitely stockier. He had a childish look to his face and his eyes went wide as he caught a glimpse of Derek. Derek could now see why Stiles was worried, the boy was cute but Derek had his eyes on no one except for his mate.

"H-hi, Sir. I'm Scott."

Derek gently smiled and offered his hand. The newcomer tentatively took it and smiled lightly back. "You can call me Derek," the alpha replied.

Stiles stood nervously to the side and Derek pulled the boy into him, snuggling the omega to his side. "Would you like some lunch, Scott? Stiles made sandwiches."

Scott nodded in relief. It was instinct for Scott to do what he was told, and anything was better than standing in awkward silence.

During lunch, the three bonded over embarrassing stories about Stiles while the latter glared but was secretly relieved. The boys went upstairs to play with Stiles' Xbox while Derek did the dishes, trying not to listen in.

"He's a hunk," Derek heard Scott whisper.

"My hunk!" Stiles defended and Derek smiled.

"I can't wait for my birthday," Scott sighed.

"You never know, dude," Stiles said. "Derek waited five years for me."

By this time Derek had found his way upstairs and knocked on Stiles' door, announcing his presences. "You boys doing okay up here?"

"Yes, Si- Derek," Scott caught himself.

Derek smiled graciously and sat on the bed. Stiles crawled up to his mate, controller still in hand and Scott gave them a dopy smile.

"""

Once Scott had bid them farewell, Stiles had fallen into bed with bleary eyes. Derek smiled at the sight and tucked his omega into his side. "It's been a good day," he whispered into Stiles' hair.

Derek nibbled on his ear and Stiles turned toward the older man, plastering their lips together. The kiss didn't go deeper than a sloppy peck, but Derek's cravings had been satisfied none the less. He tucked the omega into his chest and pet at his hair. This was how it was supposed to be. Derek would stay wrapped up in Stiles forever if he could, but that was unrealistic.

"I missed you," Stiles said into Derek's chest, making a fist with the alphas shirt.

"Me too," Derek replied, kissing the boy's head. "Go to sleep now."

Stiles followed the order and Derek continued to look upon his omega, wishing life was always this easy.