Chapter 6 - Walking on Eggshells

Have you ever seen one of those senseless sitcoms where people prank their friends and families by telling them they got a girl pregnant or got addicted to drugs? And how the people they pranked always had the strangest reactions? One of them would burst out crying, while the other would get angry and shout at the wrongdoers. I always mocked the victims, making fun of their reactions to Ryan, who applauded my uncanny abilities to mimic them. I always thought of them as idiots, for falling for the jokes and not seeing the lies behind their beloved one’s eyes. Not once did I ever try to imagine myself in their position. I always assumed I would know better.

Well I guess the tables have turned, and it was not looking good for me.

 My eyes glazed over, and I gripped the door with my spare hand, and placed the other on my chest, as if trying to prevent my heart from skipping out. I met Gwen’s eyes and her words echoed in my mind like a broken record.

  What’s wrong is that Aimee’s gone

My reaction was not what she was hoping for. I was no telepathic, but I knew at that moment how badly she needed me to be strong. But I couldn’t move from my position.

A million thoughts flash through my mind. Memories of when I first met Aimee, her smile, her beauty, how much she worried about my safety.  Some dark cloud taking over. Something that she did that was so horrible it caused Madame to dispose of her. Suddenly Aimee’s last moments flashed before my eyes. I imagined how scared she was, and how alone she felt. How she would scream, and was rewarded with a slap, or punch.

Talk about living vicariously.

Gwen’s eyes glisten with tears as she breaks our eye contact and buries her face in her hands. On any other day, I would’ve rolled my eyes at her outburst, but I was so horrified I wanted to cry beside her. Instead of doing just that, I snapped out of my mini-coma and took a deep breath, wiping all of those horrible thoughts from my mind.  I knew I had to be strong for her. And myself as well.

  So I cross the distance between us in a few short strides, pull her up gently and embrace her tightly. Her small shoulders shake with grief as she sobs into my shoulder. I wasn’t taller than her, and she had to crouch a little to hug me, but in that moment I felt like the most massive giant in the world.

   That moment was like another sharp kick I felt toward my goal to freedom. Before, I was only thinking about myself when I thought of escaping. Now I saw the bigger picture. All of these kids needed to go just as much as I did. This place was frightening and scarring. Madame didn’t kidnap all of us to make sure we got a proper education. She kidnapped us to turn us into her personal lapdogs. For her amusement. I clench my teeth and rub Gwen’s back.

  I had to come up with a better plan then running the first chance I got. I needed to be more patient, and less stubborn. Make Madame and those hideous Fishermen believe I had finally settled down, and wasn’t going to be a problem anymore. But in reality, I wasn’t planning on fading away anytime soon. I would get every single person in this school to cause a rally big enough to shut this place down for good. I slowly unclench my teeth and the fists I didn’t realize I was making.

   I pat Gwen’s hair soothingly and let her cry herself out. After an hour of relentless wails, I reach for a tissue and dab at her eyes, and let her blow her nose with it.

She manages a slight smile and thanks me quietly, avoiding my stare. I sigh, and put my hand on her shoulder.

“Gwen, I know it’s been tough for you, but you’ve gotta tell me everything you know.”