Chapter 11 - When She Breathes

I awoke with a start, and my brain instantly went into hyperactive mode. I was changed into my regular school uniform in minutes. My toothbrush flew through my mouth so fast it felt dreamlike.

   After a quick look in the bathroom mirror, I decided to just put my hair into a ponytail and save myself the trouble of looking nice. After all, I had work to do.

   I was about to exit the room when my eyes landed on the wall clock. It was exactly half past eight and my class began at nine. An involuntary shudder runs through me as I realize which class I would be attending soon.

   I brush it off and step aside to allow a weary Gwen trudge into the bathroom, looking tired and sleepy, mumbling a slurred good morning.

   Knowing she was aware of my plan, I put on my shoes and power walked out into the hallway.

   Fornication class was located in a medium sized classroom right next to the sewing rooms. It was just like a stereotypical high school classroom, with dozens of individual chair-desks packed closely together. However, there was a bed where the teacher’s desk would have normally been.

  I was one of the first to enter. Trying to swallow the bile that comes to my throat when I see the bed, I choose a desk that isn’t too close to the front. At this point there were only around five people in the room. After seeing that I had another twenty minutes, I stand on my chair as more people walk in.

  “Hey!” I yell to get their attention. Three boys and two girls turn their heads and all come closer to me.

  “Um, hi. I’m- “ I start.

   “Vivienne. We know.” A tall brown-haired boy finished. “I’m John, and this is Tristan and Jesse.” He says, beckoning to the two guys standing next to him. John gives me a knowing smile.

  The girls, who were standing a few steps behind them, were quietly fawning over the guys to each other. When they noticed me staring at them, they stepped forward.

  “I’m Natasha and this is my roommate Alexis.” The gorgeous black haired girl said, motioning to her equally beautiful friend.

  “Nice to meet all of you,” I say, shaking all of their hands quickly. “But we don’t have much time. I need you guys to spread the word. Everyone has to meet me in the dance room at midnight tonight. Can you help me out?” I ask, looking a John expectantly.

  Tristan and Jesse exchange a look and nod simultaneously. Natasha and Alexis squeal with excitement and run off to start telling their peers.

   “Count us in.” John smiles, and we bump knuckles before going to our seats.

   I sit down, pleased to hear my message floating around the room like a bubble.

   “Vivienne’s hosting a meeting in the dance room at midnight. Pass it on.” I heard a female whisper just behind me. I turn to a boy next to me and give him the same message.

  The second a new person walks into the room, they are informed of my plan. Eli saunters in five minutes early and ends up sitting next to me.

   I feel his breath on my shoulder as he leans closer to me. “Is it working?” He breaths.

  “Yes.” I reply back, locating his dangling hand and slipping my fingers through it.

   Eli and I are giggling to each other when I hear a male voice clear his throat. Lifting my eyes, I see Justin standing right in front of me. I raise my eyebrows when I notice his swollen black eye and bleeding lip.

   “Is this seat taken?” He asks fake innocently, as he points to a chair right in front of mine.

    I felt Eli start to tense up and I give his hand a reassuring squeeze, letting him know I could take care of myself.