Chapter 2 - Check the Bathroom

I slung my barf-yellow bag over my shoulder after a quick breakfast the following day. My first day of school was sure to be horrendous; I had no doubt about that. My opening class was etiquette.

  I made no effort to disguise my groans and complaints in the hallway. Ay and Gwen were on either side of me, and were trying to calm me down.

  “Trust me Vi, you do not want to get detention around here…” mumbled Gwen. I pretended that I didn’t hear her and stopped walking.

   I guess I look pretty weird because a few people looked at me. Gwen and Ay looked at me curiously. “Why’d you stop walking?” They asked.

   I felt like a lightbulb went off in my head. “Because I’m officially ditching class.” I told them matter-of-factly. Ay’s face went pale and Gwen’s was green.

  They both started chattering like mosquitoes.

“Vi, this isn’t a good idea”

 “Vi, I’m not so sure of this”

“Vi, you’re going to get caught”

“Vi, she’s going to hurt you”

“Vi, it’s not good to have a reputation around here”

“Vi, what is she decides you’re too disobedient”

“GUYS, STOP.” I interrupted them. “Nothing is going to happen to me. I just got here yesterday. She would probably think that I didn’t adjust yet.” I told them.

  Ay grabbed my shoulders and started shaking them. “She can still give you detention. There are forty people in her class and if one isn’t there, she’ll know. We just don’t want you to get hurt.” Gwen nodded in agreement. She let me go. My head was dizzy for a few moments.

 I huffed. “I appreciate your concern guys, but there’s nothing you can say to change my mind. I’m not letting this bitch tell me what to do.” They cringed slightly at my cuss.

  “You guys go ahead. If she asks you where I am, say you don’t know. I don’t want you to get in trouble because of me.” I tried to smile at them to make them feel better, but their faces were grim.

  “Where are you even going to go?” Gwen asked me.

  “My room. Bathroom. Outside. The roof. Anywhere that isn’t in that classroom.” I gave them a light push towards the hall. “Go. I’ll see you later.” I smiled halfheartedly. They reluctantly walked away.

   When I made sure they were far enough they couldn’t turn back, I ran as fast as my legs could carry me to the nearest bathroom.

   I let out a huge breath and walked into a stall. I was bitterly reminded of the time I cut class with my old best friends Anna and Bea, and before I could stop myself, a tear rolled down my cheeks.

  I wiped it away, angry at myself. Madame won’t break me. I won’t rot here. I will see my friends again. Especially Ryan, I vowed to myself. I won’t disappear like everyone else.

  I heard the door open and someone walk inside. I stood on the toilet seat so my legs wouldn’t be visible, and peeked over the top of the stall to see who it was.

  My heart skipped a beat when I saw it was a boy. Holy crap, did I walk into the boys bathroom? Great, I said to myself. Just great.

  The boy was extremely taller than me, with messy brown hair. He was actually really cute. He walked over to a urinal. When I heard him unzip his pants, I lowered my head. I really hoped he wouldn’t catch me because this was really awkward.