Chapter 15 - Breakthrough

This was it. The escape we were all losing sleep for. The major plan that would finally set us free.

The grand finale to all these nightmares.

I shrewdly reach for Gwen’s hand, and we share one last look of indignation. I was really going to miss her, but hopefully we would exchange emails or meet up once in a while.

 As I imagine this, a bitter smile crosses my face. I picture Gwen receiving an email, and in the subject box, I would write, “Hey, it’s Vivienne, remember me? We were roommates in the School of Death. So how you been?”

 I chuckle to myself darkly. In reality, once I went back home, I probably wouldn’t want to talk to these people much. I know exactly how that makes me sound, but I just can’t. There are too many painful memories.

 My mind suddenly conjures up two faces, side by side, like a movie screen. I sigh, pushing them away with an imaginary iron fist.

 The buzz of the hallways are kept in a dull roar. I had instructed everyone to act completely natural, since all hell was about to break loose.

 As me and Gwen made our way to dance class, I could just make out two people discussing our plan. I shot them a look, which they caught immediately. After quickly looking both ways to make sure there were no Fishermen present, they shut themselves up, walking the rest of the way in silence.

 My eyes were on the floor, trying not to attract any attention, even though it felt like there was a flashing neon sign hanging over my head that said I was the mastermind of the operation.

 Gwen nudges me and I look up to follow her gaze, noticing Eli waving through the crowd trying to get to me.

  I let go of Gwen and meet him halfway, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek.

  “Hey.” He smiles matter-of-factly. “You know, your speech was amazing the other day.” He ruffles my hair. I smile back at him halfheartedly.

  “Thanks. I hope you couldn’t tell I was a nervous wreck.” I blush, suddenly feeling shy and shake my hair over my eyes, hiding from him.

 “Naw, you were great.” He brushes back my locks and gives me a devilish grin.

   “If only we could skip class to go to our bathroom…” He ponders, a sad puppy dog expression lighting up his face. I grin without even realizing it.

   “Yeah well, we both know this isn’t a class we can miss.” I say brightly, my fingers clasping with his.

   A pang in my chest forces me to break eye contact and swallow. He hadn’t noticed it.

  I realized this pang was guilt. I had forgotten that I never told him about what happened with Justin. Or John, for that matter.

  We reached the dance room, but right before he walks in I pull him to the side.

  “Eli, before we go in, there’s something I have to tell you just in case I won’t get the chance later.” I meet his expectant expression, waiting for him to get the seriousness of my tone.

  His easy grin slides off his face. “Vi, if you’re scared…” He starts. I raise a hand to cut him off.

  “No.” A million thoughts run through my mind in that instant.

  “On Friday, after the fornication class, I was walking to my room and Justin sort of attacked me.” I say as quietly as I could muster.

  “What?” Eli asks as if he misheard me. I repeat it, gently and a bit louder. His eyebrows raise and his eyes have a murderous look in them.