Chapter 9 - The Enemies Backstory

“Gwen. GWEN!” I scream, my breath catching in my throat.  “GET OUT OF THE BATHROOM NOW!” I yell at the top of my lungs.

  She bursts out of the door, fumbling to put the towel over her slim body, droplets of water from her wet hair splattering everywhere.

  “Dammit, Vivienne! What is it?” She asks irritably, beginning to brush her hair.

   I hold up the notepad, and point to Leah’s name. I see her eyes widen as she read the sentence that could give us the ammunition to get out of this god forsaken place.

  “Oh my god.” She utters, and puts a hand over her mouth. “You have to go talk to her as soon as possible!” She says, a tad hysterical.

   I give her a hug and pat her back soothingly. “I know, I know. We have dance class in half an hour. I’ll talk to her then. Don’t worry.”

  I eventually calm her down from her grief-stricken state, and change into my dance clothes. They consisted of black leggings, yellow leg warmers, and a yellow tank top.

  After putting my hair in a high ponytail and tying the shoelaces of my black sneakers, I hide the book under my mattress, figuring it would be the safest place for now.

   I close the mattress into place and jump a mile when I feel a cold hand on my shoulder.

 “I’m going next door to borrow some leg warmers. See you in dance.” Gwen gives me a brief smile and leaves soon after. I sigh and make my way to the door, ready to go talk to Leah and Maya.

   Just as I am about to open the door and walk out, someone knocks from the other side.  I open the door, only to look up into Eli’s chocolate eyes.

  “I have nothing to say to you.” I say coldly and shove him away. An expression of confusion crosses his face and he easily grasps my hand and leads me back inside the room, closing the door behind him.

   “What are you talking about?” He asks innocently, letting me go.

  I snort. “Don’t play dumb. I thought I could trust you. Guess I was wrong.” I fold my arms and scowl at the floor. His jawline drops.

  “I have no idea what you’re talking about!” He claims, throwing his hands into the air.

   “You know exactly what I’m talking about! You were supposed to show up yesterday and you didn’t! It was important, and you just blew me off without a warning! Ring a bell now?” I say, my voice hard enough to cut through ice.

   “Vi, you never told me to come over yesterday.” He states calmly, examining my face. I rack my brain for a comeback, but realize he’s right.

  “No, no….no. I went to your room. I talked to your roommate…Justin? I told him to tell you to come. I know I did, I’m positive…” I trail off, thinking of what to say next. Eli crosses the distance between us and holds out his arms.

   Not being able to take it any longer, I trip into them. “Justin didn’t give me any message. If he did, I would’ve come. You know me, Vi.” He whispers into my hair, before kissing my forehead. I nod, wishing for the absence of tears that were still welling up in my eyes without my permission.

   “I believe you.” I tell him, before breaking out of his hold. I crash my lips to his and he pulls me back in, his hands on my waist.

   I can’t get enough of him. My fingers knot around his hair as he picks me up and carries me to the bed. As he lies on top of me, I help him take off his shirt, his lips not leaving mine. I part my mouth slightly, allowing him entry, and his tongue slides in, continuing the passionate kiss. I feel my heart race with excitement as I look into his eyes, which were full of tenderness. I give him one last soft, sweet kiss and pull away, both of us gasping for air.