Chapter 24: Trueth - Through the Sands Part 2

Last paragraph from part 1, for your convenience:

Mother Nefertiti turned her back on the king and started sifting through boxes once more, which prevented her from seeing the wrath slowly materialising on Pharaoh's face. The professor did and warningly waggled a finger before he too disappeared through the opening in the back. He must have a lot of faith in the discipline of his disciple, Trueth thought as she followed him.

*****

Metjen's father held a taper into the first chamber to illuminate the interior, and Trueth wished he had not bothered. The chaos was still there, and it was still overwhelming. From next door, the twins echoed her dismay.

The chamber in front of her was crammed to the ceiling with a hodgepodge collection of historical items from A, as in alabaster jar, to Z as in zebra-striped tripod seat. At least those were the two objects she could spot straight away. The rest had got lost in alphabet soup; nobody had ever bothered to archive the lot.

'What a disaster area,' the professor said. 'I offered my help, but Iseret never let me.'

'As long as she hasn't sneaked in a mummy of one of the king's ancestors,' Trueth responded.

Why would I do such a thing? Iseret plopped into her mind like a supernatural bubble bursting on a scent of myrrh. This arrangement is deliberate.

You mean the clutter? Why? Trueth thought. It appeared the professor did not hear anything; he kept hunting through the jumble of priceless historical artefacts unperturbed.

I wanted to hide the most valuable pieces among the rest. Whenever the temple needed funds, I sold those off to the collectors of antiques.

Trueth burst out laughing.

The professor stretched his head over the antique bed frame he had been about to shift, a questioning expression on his face. She gave him a thumbs up and pretended to be sifting the contents of a basket.

Did you just say you peddled stuff on the black market?

I do not share your amusement, sister, Iseret returned the thought with determination. I had people to look after. The headrest is a holy object, so I kept that one mostly in my chamber or took it with me to my abode under the pyramid.

So you have us poor minions scouring the wrong place? Trueth was wondering how to best glower at an invisible nuisance.

The end was chaotic. I cannot at all remember whether the headrest might be here, or in the chamber under Djoser's tomb. There we can go no longer lest we encounter evil, so we should at least try the temple.

Iseret's disembodied voice sounded sheepish at first, then its tone changed. If you lend me your power, I can scan this place much quicker.

Trueth thought How?

I use your sun-flow, sister, and my skills. It will only take a minute.

Great, now she could add ghostly possession on her list of things to put on her T-shirt. On the other hand, it did not seem to cause Metjen any harm... .

Oh well, if you must.

The scent of myrrh overpowered her senses, as a warm glow spread from her head to her limbs. Her arms shot up as if jerked by hidden strings, followed by an amethyst flash zig-zagging from her hands through the chamber, until it sliced through the wall into the neighbouring room. The professor raised his head, took off his glasses and examined them from all sides.