Chapter 30: Trueth - Bird's View

As the airplane banked for the final approach towards London's Heathrow airport, its wing ripped apart the ragged clouds and revealed the soggy landscape below. Fields, houses and streets were couched in what could be considered an amazing variety on the 'Grey' theme. Assuming one liked that colour, which Trueth no longer did.

They had departed from Cairo in true Al-Nour style meaning that the sun had risen not only over the hills but from behind a mountain of luggage. Even the intrepid Akil was out of his depth once he tried squeezing the suitcases into the tour bus he had commandeered for the occasion.

'You know, the Thames has already been discovered? There's no need for an expedition,' Trueth pointed out.

Her comment prompted a 'Dr. Deveril, I presume?' from Metjen, indicating that he was definitely on the mental mend.

Saying a temporary goodbye to Nefertiti was hard, but somebody had to stay behind and look after the cats who would tolerate only so much travelling. Also, the same somebody had to ensure the affairs of the family were in order before their final return to Kemet. One never knew, Nefertiti said.

The plane lurched.

Trueth vowed to herself to send off her friends in person, should she decide not to join them for the ride. Even if that meant getting into another one of these infernal flying machines.

Not everybody shared her misgivings. In the other seat, Seisi was enjoying his tour of the troposphere. Positively quivering with suppressed energy, he had turned his head only a few times to share his radiant smile. Despite his obvious fascination with the assorted in-flight experiences, Seisi did not forget to interlace his fingers with hers once they hit turbulence.

Two rows behind, Khy was equally enthusiastic and, unfortunately, a lot more vocal about his observations.

'You mention 'Appropriate carrier of Horus' once more, and I stuff one of these chewy buns down your throat.' Ranofer snapped at his fellow passenger. He was never one to mince his words, but this time Trueth was inclined to agree with him.

The presence of the young king in the latest expedition had caused heated arguments back in Cairo.

'He's not ready for the journey, dear.' Globs of a red substance erupted from the bowl mother Al-Nour was attacking with the purée stick. Trueth suspected strawberries to be involved.

The professor raised his chin at Khy, seated on the cream leather settee with his Jeans-clad legs crossed and a Playstation on his knees 'I think he is, given the hours he spends playing Grand Theft Auto!'

'I started him off on Civilisation. Not sure who changed that. I better take loads of polo neck jumpers then, if he's coming.' Rani-Ra swayed upstairs to adjust her wardrobe.

'I'd rather have the bugger under my thumb and not on a long-distance locating spell. It's too risky with the demons around.' Metjen's statement put an end to the discussion and, as a result, the Horus on Earth was on a plane, removed from his roots not only in terms of time.

Pharaoh also was physically distant from the object of his desires. The boy king was as determined as he was persistent in worshipping his 'Cherished Companion' as he kept calling Rani-Ra. She laughed him off but did nothing to stop him either and instead kept treating her admirer like a pet Chihuahua that was too big for her handbag. She still chose to sit with her father.

The plane wobbled its way up the Thames estuary, losing altitude as it went along. On the ground below, orangy strings of streetlights came on like rows of Halloween lanterns.

After their failed raid in the museum, the new battle plan featured a three-pronged approach. The professor would call on Francis, his ex-student, in the Kensington town house of the Carter family. Rani-Ra was to raid the fashionable shops with Metjen and Khy in tow. When Trueth pondered on this particular element of their strategy, she was convinced it had not started off as an order but more like a declaration on Rani-Ra's part. Metjen, however, did not appear to be overly worried about traipsing all across town with a couple of teenagers; he assured Trueth a visit to the British Museum-the exhibition proper this time, and during normal opening hours-would constitute at least part of his revenge.

The engines changed their pitch, and finally the plane bounced onto the runway, sheets of water shooting up the row of windows on its sides.

The deluge triggered more memories of their discussions back home. The decision had been that she was to lead the third battalion in the form of a rental car carrying herself and Seisi on their quest to meet the last surviving witches. Her quest really, if she was honest.

Metjen had not been optimistic about the potential results of her journey. 'Don't expect too much from this motley crew. Assuming the people of the mist had indeed stayed behind when the other ancient civilisations went through the portal, their descendants got thoroughly culled during the witch hunts. Those alive now have rather watered-down talents.'

'Homeopathy works,' Trueth had responded and sucked on the strawberry Margarita, but he still scored a point.

The brakes of the plane came on with a vengeance, more water shot over the windows and just as Trueth wondered whether they would overshoot the runway and head straight for the ring road, the plane finally slowed down.

'I am so exhilarated. This was fantastic.' Seisi's glowing cheeks and shiny eyes spoke volumes. She squeezed a hand she had not realised she was still gripping and noticed his fingers had turned pale.

Trueth started massaging his hands. 'I'm so sorry,'

He winked at her. 'It is fine. I hope one day you will squeeze more than only my hand.'

She smiled and tightened her fingers one more time.

'The flight is over. You no longer need to worry.' Seisi ran his thumb over her forehead, and she allowed her frown to relax.

'It's not the flight that's bugging me. What will I do if I really find out where I come from. And if I don't like it? And what if I don't. I mean, find out?'

Seisi took her hands between his, an expression of concern on his face. 'You ruminate so much. You will give yourself pain.'

Trueth felt a tug of annoyance and withdrew her hands. 'That's me, I'm afraid. It's probably different for you, but then you don't face the challenge of working out where you want to be. Even if I stay here, what will I do? Pass medical school and slip my sun-flow across to the patients together with the pills?'

'Would this be an option?' Seisi was rubbing his nose.

Trueth shrugged. 'I'll have to study and pass exams and that all costs money. I'm sure, one of Nefertiti's little arrangements would have me covered for life. Call me stupid, but I don't want that. If I cut my ties, I need to be able to stand on my own feet. They're big enough as they are.'

'You are a person of great integrity. But you are not there yet. See what these people have to say first. Find out how it feels to be back and I am sure you will find your answer.'

Just as the plane came to a standstill at the gate, Trueth decided Seisi excelled at both his jobs, be it priest or spy.

If you liked this story, please leave me a vote or a comment. Or both XD. Wattpad writers write for feedback. We thrive on it! Thank you so much. If you REALLY liked it - maybe you can tell your friends about it?

===

This chapter is dedicated to fellow author @kristiekc. I love her sense of the absurd, her wonderful humour and great characterisations. Check out her novel 'Girl with straw in her hair'. It is unconventional for certain, as Seisi would say.

The image is taken from DeviantArt, copyright catorb