Chapter 31: Trueth - Welcome Home!

The fading whine of the engines was followed by the usual post-landing stampede through the aircraft and into the terminal building, towards the carousels with the luggage.

Carousels bearing luggage when they had just cleared passport controls? And how had they managed to smuggle an ancient Egyptian priest as well as a juvenile version of Tutankhamun through immigration?

Metjen turned around and flashed his crocodile smile at Trueth.

That was as good an explanation as any other. Not that their appearance gave anything away. Metjen was using aviators to hide his sizzling gaze; Seisi had gone for the 'Men in Black' choice in sunglasses, a knitted dark sailor's cap provided by Mother Al-Nour making a fashion statement on his shaven head. Her female co-passengers shot stabs of envy across with their stares. Trueth refrained from giving them a thumbs up.

The men were ogling Rani-Ra, who was directing some porters to pick up their luggage.

'Where are your brothers?' Trueth asked.

'Most likely having a manly chat in the gents,' she said over her shoulder. 'Don't know why, but they always go together.'

Pharaoh had not been included in the deal. He was standing next to the belt, watching suitcases jostling each other on their merry round. When Trueth joined him, she realised he had not been observing the technical marvels of the 21st century but a group of teenagers. Wearing the uniforms of modern youth, they were acting blasé.

Khy reached up to shift his baseball cap around. 'We thought the part at the front was meant to protect the eyes from the sun, not the neck? But then there are these four-eye devices his wisdom and the holy scholar are wearing and we should have realised we had it wrong. Is it going to be very hot outside?'

Something about his careful handling of his cap was very touching, Trueth thought. By now, the lad was trying to fit in; which could not be easy for someone used to running the show. He was very clearly a lot better at adjusting to his environment than she had been. 'It will be wet, not hot, Your Majesty. And you had your cap the right way round.'

'It's just a fashion.' Having ensured their belongings were all ticked off on the list, the professor had sent on the porters and walked across.

Khy nodded but did not adjust his headgear.

'This is unbelievable!' Metjen shot out of the restroom. His clear baritone carried through the hall, attracting attention from the bored passengers still waiting for their luggage. Lately, he had managed to keep the special effects under control and therefore, no panic ensued. Instead, Metjen lowered his voice. 'First this guy and then Im...grandfather has to contact me here of all places.'

'What did he have to say?' Trueth asked.

Rani-Ra cut across her. 'What guy?'

Metjen shifted his sunglasses to the tip of his nose and flashed discreet displeasure at his sister. 'The bloke at the next urinal was looking at...well me, saying I was a pretty boy!'

This sounded ominous, Trueth thought. 'How is he?'

'Having gut problems!'

All things considered, the outcome could have been worse. 'Not pretty at all. What's with that bit about Imho...your grandfather?'

'We better get a move on,' the professor said. 'Before any of you says something that buys us a one-way ticket to the loony bin.'

Metjen ignored his father. 'He finally made contact. Of course, Imhot...has to get in touch when I'm trying to get rid of all that coffee on the plane. And the message was rather garbled.'