Chapter 47: Seisi - Mirrors

Buried deep down in the fertile soil of the Delta, one long and winding passageway connected all the mansions of the gods. When the high priests and the old Pharaoh had arranged for the building of the portal, they had connected the new structures to this existing corridor. The Warriors of the Light, had they made it safely from one world to another, would have arrived in the underground walkway and immediately enjoyed the protection of the temples. With so many priests among their forces, they could also have quickly called down the divine energy again, pulling their civilisation across the void between the world.

None of this had happened. Instead, the dark priests had blocked the access from the other side. When Trueth, Metjen and the other adventurers from the demon world crashed through 5000 years later, the corridor was patiently waiting for them. Oddly enough for such a substantial edifice, it was not connected to the sacred chambers where the high priests sought communion with the gods. Instead, it led directly to the cellars and dungeons below the holiest of the holies.

This set-up was fortunate, Seisi thought as he hurried down one last set of steps. Given the impressive array of spells protecting the level above, he would never have been able to gain access otherwise.

He pressed his hand on the row of hieroglyphs that had been strategically placed at eye level on an otherwise blank mud wall.

'Access prohibited in the name of the high priest of Ra. May your ba be howling in darkness for all eternity if you disobey.'

Seisi wondered if refraining from issuing any threats and just stacking some junk against the rough surface would not have been far more efficient if one wanted to hide something. But then, his superiors could never resist showing off their impressive skills to the lower grades. His stomach dropped and he withdrew his hand as if bitten by a snake.

What if Metjen had not remembered to re-cast the spell so that he could safely enter? After all, he still was not so well-versed in the ways of the temple.

Seisi mind-stared at his fingers then observed the wall with perspiration gathering on his brow. The wall stayed a wall for just a moment longer as if to mock him, then vanished in a sandy haze, giving him a view of what lay behind. The spell had started blinking but otherwise stayed where it was. Seisi exhaled and swiftly moved across the uneven flagstones into the smoothness of the glittery grey of his new environment. Behind him, the gap he had passed through slowly solidified once more.

Seisi turned and rushed along the corridor towards the Kemet side of the portal, his sandals making soft slapping noises on the smooth surface. Welcome coolness embraced him and helped him recollect a hectic, hot day that was very obviously far from over.

He had managed to pacify his mother by sharing an abridged and censored version of his adventures as well as freshly baked bread and a delicious cup of hot milk spiced with cardamom and honey. How he had longed for this treat during exile.

Many other parents might have been delighted at his prospects brought about by his closeness to Ra's latest first prophet. In fact, he knew his father and siblings would be. Not so his mother. She had just drummed her fingers on the table and scowled at him.

'Between Imhotep and this new first prophet, you'll run your feet raw! Stay away from those nobles, I tell you.'

She loved him, really, and had shown it by giving Dog temporary shelter without too many recriminations.

Seisi rounded the last bend and there in the distance was the cracked mirror they had all come through. In the demon world, he had once seen a car accident, the windscreen of one of the vehicles had closely resembled the surface he observed in front of him, cracked and splintered into a multitude of glittering facets. The only difference was the glass of the portal still glowing deep sea blue around the edges. Right in the middle, the walking stick had been pressed into the wreckage. It emitted a soft glow and was most likely responsible for the faint hum Seisi kept hearing.