Ch 3

• Dedicated to Anyone reading :)

Awakening wasn't the most pleasant experience in the world.

The first thing i notice was i was no longer lying on the soft bed, it being replaced by what i assume to be the stone cold floor. The second was it was extremely cold, like someone had placed me in an over sized freezer. The third was that it was still dark, night obviously still upon me. The forth, and probably the scariest, i had no feeling in my legs.

Panic arose in my body as i struggled to move my legs, failing in each attempt. A line of sweat grows on my forehead as i toss and turn more frantically, feeling the numbness start to spread up my abdomen and stomach. 

Finally, i stop moving, my breathing slightly uneven and my bottom lip quivering. I've come to the conclusion i've known all along would prove to be true. Ever since the day i entered the basement and saw all the other girls and heard the door slam shut behind me, and the lock's click echo in the basement. I will never leave, and am going to die here. 

~ Flashback ~  - 3 months ago -

Waking up at midnight, it was one of those moments where you were instantly wide awake. I wish i had been like that the previous day in the morning. No one can ever get up early on Mondays.

Wrapping my light purple robe around my body i entered the washroom and brushed my teeth, wanting the horrid feeling of morning breath out of them. I pulled on a pair of skinny jeans and a tight black v-neck with a  white undershirt. Slipping on my grey TOMS, i grabbed my keys and locked the door of my apartment, heading towards the stairs for the few minute walk to the lobby. 

Looping the key chain around my index finger i pulled my long, blond hair back into a tight pony tail, running my fingers through the end to prevent it from swaying as i walked. 

I exited the building and entered the forest located just behind it, slowly walking along the trail i had been on countless times. A breeze blows by bringing discomfort to my bare arms, goose bumps appearing as another gust of wind whooshes past. 

Rubbing my arms i look up at the full moon, it's surface reflecting the sun's light down onto the trees and city. The surface of the moon was pale white, a few grey areas where there were no doubt gaps in the surface.

Traveling deeper into the forest i discard the few sounds of snapping twigs, thinking them to be some sort of animal lurking around at night. As an owl's call echos in the forest i notice something i'm almost certain wasn't there all those times i came up on this part of the trail. A separate trail leads off into somewhere else in the forest, fog covering whatever is in the far distance.

Curiosity got the best of me, i switched paths and travelled down my new discovery, wondering what was there the fog had to hide. After a few minutes of walking nothing changes, i keep passing leaf-less trees that appear black in the dim light. The fog doesn't clear, if anything it only becomes stronger, blocking my vision to the point where i could barely see where i was going.

Breaking out into a run i continue forward, dodging branches to the best of my abilities but still getting caught in their grasp occasionally and feeling a slight trickle of blood escape the small scraps in my arms.

Looking behind me for a second after hearing another twig snap and becoming suddenly extremely paranoid, i didn't notice the root sticking up in the ground. My foot hooks onto the loop the root and sends me tumbling forward, my hands instantly coming forward to break my fall.

Hissing in pain i release my ankle from the roots grip and examine it. A few scraps cover the surface but that's it, nothing sprained or broken. My hands are covered in scraps outlined with moist dirt, a few tiny pebbles wedged in my skin.

Brushing my hands off on my pants i quickly stand and wrap my arms around myself, looking around slowly. The only sound heard is my heavy breathing, it coming out uneven and ragged. Something moves from up ahead, catching my attention. The sound of something slamming comes from ahead, like a door closing.

Feeling my eyes widen i sprint forwards, relief floods through my body as the fog starts to clear slightly. I run until i see a clearing up ahead and slow to a walk, feeling a bit more cautious than normal.

Breaking through the small gap i see a small shack up ahead, the typical black shingles covering the roof and matching brick chimney spewing out small puffs of smoke. Long beams of wood attach the edge of the roof to the base of the deck, several stairs leading from the deck to a path that ends where i currently stood. Two windows stand on either side of the door, small patches of glass missing in a few sections.

The shack practically screams 'DANGER! STAY AWAY!'. But considering i had no clue how far out in the forest i was and believed entering the structure was the best idea at the moment, it was like telling a child not to touch anything in a toy store. It's not going to happen.

Slowly approaching the steps i notice the second step looks unstable, the wood moulding and as weak as a newborn child. Carefully, i walk up the steps, wincing as each movement i make is rewarded with a creak. 

Striding up to the door, i hesitantly knock, not wanting to touch the dirty metal handle that replaces the modern day doorbell.

The next few seconds happen so fast they might as well be mil seconds, nothing i could of then done could've prevented the outcome. The door swings open faster than should be humanly possible, a hand instantly reaching out and grabbing my shoulder and pulling me into the shack.

My body hits the floor with a 'THUD' but i ignore the pain resurfacing in my hands and knees as my head whips over to the door, just in time to watch it close and hear the soft 'click' echo in the silence.

Shaking i look around, blinded by the darkness that surrounds me but still able to tell the shack appeared smaller on the outside than it really was. A deep voice then talks, saying the exact opposite of what i wished to hear at that moment.

"You've entered my house, what a foolish mistake. Now it's up to you, to find your escape. Your time is limited, as is your life. Whether you die at my hands or your own, you know where to locate my knife."

~ Flashback over~  - Present -

Silent tears stain my cheeks at the memory, scolding myself for what seems like the millionth time for being so foolish. He hadn't even needed to try and get me in the house, i literally walked right into it by my own free will, mostly. 

A knock then bounces off the door and into the room, catching my attention instantly. 

You didn't need to be a genius to know who stood behind it, but you did need to be one to escape this haunted shack. Alive that is.

~ A/N ~ I forgot to mention earlier but i'm also posting this story under the user-name JustADreamer16 on Quotev so no i'm not someone stealing another's story or vise-virsa, they're both moi.

And sorry for the filler chapter, a few people had been confused as to how the girl ended up in the shack and so i decided to do a little flashback. Sorry if the chapters so far are all really short, i'm trying to do frequent updates since a friend *coughonedirectioner54321cough* is also reading this and wants me to update and actually complete it. I may or may not have a habit of never being able to complete stories... 

Anyways i hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and weren't too bored by it! Don't hesitate to go to my profile and send a private message with some critics or post a comment or post something on my message bored! 

~ JAD16