Ch 8 *Final Chapter*

Closing my eyes I accept that I'm going to die. I'm not going to make it out of this house alive, if I manage to make it out at all. But I will not go down without a fight. 

Bringing my right leg up from behind me I kick Riley where no man should be kicked and hear his satisfying groan followed by a thump as he falls to the ground. Looking back at Jamie I turn the knife around and bring it down as hard as I can on her head, the butt of it knocking her unconscious. 

Spinning around I jump over Riley and head towards the door, knowing some sort of trap will obviously be set up but also not caring. I had just reached the wooden exit and grasped the metal lever that sent chills down my spine when I remembered. The other girls. I couldn't leave them here, but would I have enough time to help them escape? 

Releasing a sound that was a combination of a groan and sigh I turn around and sprint to the last place I wanted to be at the moment. When I saw the door leading down the the basement I felt the bile from my stomach rise into my esophagus. 

Mustering all the courage I could, I whipped open the rotting door and sprinted down the stairs, falling a few times and only just catching myself in time. At the bottom where you were supposed to turn 180° and continue down a few steps, I just jumped over the railing and landed with a soft ‘thud’, the sound barely echoing in the small room.

At the sound of my entrance, all the girls turned to look at me, shaking in the corner they all were standing in. After a few moments and taking in my appearance, realization flashed in all their eyes and they realized who I was. 

One of the oldest ladies, around the age of 20, stood up and walked over to me. I noticed how her mop of brown hair was pulled back into a knot, a ripped piece of clothing tying it together as another slightly larger one in length that was pale blue held all the hair back from her face. 

Her sleeves were ripped and at odd lengths, I assumed that’s where the cloth that was currently in her hair came from. Any exposed skin was covered in dirt and sweat. Only then did I notice the odd temperature of the room and the line of sweat growing on my forehead. 

The lady walked right up so she was only a meter away, bringing the stench of fear and the slightest bit of hope with her. She raised her hand to gently graze my jaw, I didn’t fail to notice how it shook rapidly, almost as if she had an overdose of caffeine. 

Her chapped lips opened to reveal her raspy voice, as it whispered broken english to me. “You come back... why?” 

I felt tears well in my eyes as I reached up and took her shaking hand in my own, bringing it down and clasping it between both of my hands. Why had I returned? I could’ve easily left, even if the guilt would haunt me for the rest of my life.

“It’s quite simple, really,” I began, not knowing exactly what I would say next. “I know not everyone in this room would do the same, it’s quite obvious really.” I look up at a few certain girls as I say this, remembering how a few had been less than friendly in my time down here.

“But everyone was given a chance at life for a reason, and although that reason may never be accomplished by them, they still have the right to try.” I finish, feeling proud at my mini speech.

A few other girls smile slightly, thankful I had returned obviously. Most girls just stood, staring at me in pure shock. Several looked at me in hatred, most likely believing I only wanted attention and that was the cause of my actions. But I wasn’t concerned about that at the moment, we all had to evacuate before it was too late.

Then, right on cue, a boom echoed in the house, the sound you would hear from some sort of object or structure falling from being damaged. He wouldn’t... would he?