Ch 6

"Do you recognize me finally?" he asked, turning around and walking back to his desk. 

I couldn't believe it, after years of no contact what so ever he just suddenly appears. I felt no affection towards him anymore, not after his harsh rejection, but I couldn't help but admire how he matured from the twiggy 13 year old boy. Now a... how old would he be, 18 maybe, year old man. 

Realizing I had been gaping at him for quite some time now, I shake my head, clearing any unnecessary thoughts. Sighing, I take a step closer to him, his back facing me and hands placed firmly on the window ledge, staring out at the still raging storm. 

Biting my lip i manage to whisper "Yes,"

He exhales a deep breath before slumping his shoulders, looking down at the ground outside. This is by far the most awkward position i've ever been in, the tension was so thick it was like glue coated every particle in the air.

For some odd reason, I no longer felt afraid. Just yesterday I had been shaking downstairs in the horrid basement, pondering on when my end would finally arrive. Praying I could just escape this place.

You'd think i'd learn by now that bad things always happen when you think about how everything is fine and for once you aren't scared.

Riley turned around suddenly, his eyes glowing with anger. A clap of thunder and flash of lightening appear behind him, adding onto his scary appearance. Slowly, I began backing up, wanting more than anything to escape the room i was currently trapped in.

"All these years, you never wondered why I suddenly disappeared?! After all these years of nothing from you, and all you can say is 'Yes,' ?!" He bellowed, his voice echoing in the small room.

Wincing at his tone I look down, realizing I should've been there for my friend when he needed me the most. But I abandoned him, left him when he was in need of a shoulder to cry on. 

I had only found out about his family problems years after they begun, but by then it was too late. He was a changed person, no longer the guy I had known from grade 4. What had I done? I gave up, I hadn't even bothered trying to help him, I basically ignored him! It appeared to be the best idea at the time, I only realized a few days after his disappearance I was foolish to think such a thing. 

I looked up, my mouth open and ready to apologize for not being there, when I froze. The knife. The knife from only a few hours previously that had been dripping a substance that I knew to be blood, was sitting in Riley's hand, his hand positioned to stab as his feet carried him towards myself.

My eyes widen in realization before I turn and charge for the door. I fumbling with the knob for a few seconds before opening it and slamming it against the wall, ignoring the loud bang as I sprint down the hallway. 

This wasn't the Riley I used to know, no, this wasn't the Riley i had come to care for. This? This was a being that was far beyond broken. Far beyond the point of being able to have help and have it be useful. This was a broken boy who couldn't be helped. 

I approach the stairs, not slowing my pace at all, and stumble down a few. My hand glides against the wooden railing, my finger catching on a lose piece of wood and piercing my skin. Yelping I stick my finger in my mouth and continue down the stairs, the bottom seeming to take 2 steps back for everyone of mine foward. 

One step suddenly breaks as I step on it, the wood collapsing and falling into unknown darkness and carrying my shrieking being with it. My drop lasted no longer than 5 seconds before I came in contact with something soft, an 'oomph' escaping my mouth at the sudden impact. Footsteps suddenly echo as I clamp my hand over my mouth, not wanting to attract Riley's attention.