Chapter 14

"You are taking leave for the day?" Damon asks as he watches Kathleen dry the plates.

"Huh...umm...yes, once she will be familiar with the surroundings then may be I will go back to work, else I will handle things from home" she informs him before she asks if he wants a coffee but he refuses.

"You should not have taken her responsibility if you were unable to you know, I can beat Gabriel and make him look after his wife" he offers making Kathleen laugh a loud.

"No, no Dam no need to, I truly want to look after her," she still keeps laughing imagining the situation as she passes him.

"Why?" he asks following her.

"Just..."

"Did something happen between you two?" he asks when she does not elaborate her answer.

"Why do you say so?" Kathleen asks a bit hesitant scared if he knows something.

"Amelia has been running around for the past four years in our life and suddenly you are taking care of her, makes no sense that's all" he admits shrugging his shoulder uncaringly but his eyes says something else.

"That's because I just knew how badly Gabriel treats her" Kathleen tries to wave off the uneasiness she feels for the questions he raises.

"Oh really, so you saw nothing wrong about it, when she never joined us on any of the family dinners or how even if it has been four years for their marriage Gabriel has not produced any heir of his own?" Damon raises the question to her.

"I did not know your inner police officer will be coming out when I offered to look after Amelia" Kathleen tries to joke it off but the blank look on Damon's face wipes her smile.

"Take good care of her then, I will take my leave," Damon states after a log pause before he walks out of the house leaving Kathleen to think on his change of behavior.

*******

Damien pulls his phone out of his pocket before dialing Nicho's number, he waits for the call to be connected, and when it does and his cousin answers it on the second ring.

"Change in plan, Amelia knows. I am not sure how long this will last" he speaks as he stares out of his car window towards Kathleen's house.

"No, Gabriel is busy, checking on a few things for me. Have you talked with Grace about meeting with her stepfather?

Nicho, we do not have enough time, you cannot protect her from everything so man-up and let the plan roll...

Did I not say she will not come into harms way?" Damien listens to what his cousin has to say before he sighs.

"I don't think anyone of you will like it if I stepped in, Nicho," he warns his cousin who sighs on the other side of the line before they come to a mutual understanding.

After setting up the plan, Damien cuts the line before starting his car and driving away aware of the gaze of the man working as Kathleen's driver and he takes a mental note to handle the man later on.

Just as Damien steps in the station his phone rings and staring at the screen, he debates whether to take it or not.

Making his way inside his office, he locks the door before answering the call.

*******

Pulling out the ringing phone close to her ear Kathleen slowly makes her way out leaving a sleeping Amelia in the room.

She sighs as the caller at the other side of the phone reminds her of the meeting to happen in an hour.

Therefore, she once again walks towards the room and wakes Amelia apologetically informing the girl that she has to leave.