28 | incarcerous

A/N

Out of curiousity, what Hogwarts House do you belong to? I've tested over the years, and I'm a true-green Slytherin, hence this story. Ravenclaw comes close too. What about you?

x Noelle

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

2 8

i n c a r c e r o u s

Binds target.

SHE STIRRED AWAKE as sunlight hit her face. She blinked for a moment, then lifted her head from the pillow.

The first thing she noticed was that Draco was not next to her.

And the second glaring detail – this wasn't her room.

Panic shot through her and she scrambled up. Grabbing her wand, she climbed out of bed and limped out of the room. Her leg still ached from the previous day's fight, but she slowly descended the stairs. She rounded the corner, heading through the doorway of the kitchen, the stopped short at the sight of the person in there.

The woman turned, her lips widening in a warm, welcoming smile as she took a step forward, wiping her hands hurriedly on her apron as she did so. "Hello, Hermione," she greeted, and Hermione instantly recognised her voice. It was the voice she'd heard over the telephone, the one person she'd spent so many afternoons talking to.

She stared up at the woman in disbelief. "Andromeda?"

Andromeda Tonks wrapped her arms around her. The older witch smelled of flowers and cinnamon – two scents that made Hermione feel comfortable at once. "I'm so glad you're here." Andromeda pulled back a fraction to look down at her. "How's your leg, dear?"

"Better," Hermione settled down on the chair, suddenly realising that there was another person at the table. A toddler of about three years old was seated in a high chair and Hermione felt her breath quicken as she reached out, clasping her fingers briefly around the boy's chubby ones. "Is this – is this Teddy?"

"My grandson, yes."

"You've told me about him on the phone, but I just never..." Tears stung Hermione's eyes when she remembered that Teddy's parents were gone now. "Hello, Teddy," she whispered to him. "I'm Hermione."

"Say hello to Hermione, Teddy," said Andromeda. "Her-My-Nee."

"Mione," Teddy mumbled after a few tries.

Hermione laughed and pulled him onto her lap when he reached for her. Then she turned back to Andromeda. "How did you find us?"

Andromeda settled down on the chair opposite and slid a plate of pancakes across the table. "Draco called me several days ago and told me about the plan. Merlin, that boy's risky as anything. He said that once he and Theo were captured by the Order, the rest of you wouldn't be safe in Godric's Hollow."

Hermione's chest tightened. "So Draco and Theo are prisoners now?"

"I'm not sure. Luna's been out to check and she's due back anytime soon. After the Protean charms lit last night, I knew that Draco had defected."

"Protean charms? You mean – "

"Yes." Andromeda drew out a black cord that hung around her neck. "The incantation I have is different, so it doesn't light unless under critical circumstances. I found you and the others in Godric's Hollow. After we fixed your wounds, we packed and left. It's safe here. The Order's headquarters is nearby and this house has enough protection spells to ward off any attack."