Chapter 2

Slowly, the campers disappeared back to their activities and I was left alone with Leo Valdez. I was yet to meet the owner of this camp, who seemed like quite the mystery to me. I was told I should get the first facts before I meet him, which I just nodded to and didn't bother pursuing the topic.

"So, Libellus, I should probably tell you what all of this is about," Leo started uncomfortably. After all of his friends had gone, he had dropped the sidekick act a bit. "Well, first, I should probably tell you what you are."

"You know what I am?" The question tumbled out of my mouth before I could stop it. He could have been talking about anything, I shouldn't get carried away.

"To tell you straight, you're a demigod, or a half blood, either works. Half human and half god, as in one of the Greek gods. Everyone at this camp is--well, except from the satyrs, centaurs, dryads and nymphs... But I'll explain them shortly."

Leo, who had been avoiding eye contact and looking down at the camp (we were still on the hill) glanced at me to see my reaction. To be quite honest, I wasn't at all surprised at what he was saying. At the end of the day, none of this was real, so why couldn't there be gods and mythical creatures?

"You seem very... Calm," Leo mentioned curiously.

My response was a shrug that I didn't expand with an explanation.

"You're parent, whether it's a god or goddess, will come forward and announce themselves soon. Since Percy had a little chat with them a while ago, they have been claiming their children shortly after they arrive here. Although, we don't usually get new campers your age. They don't often survive long in the big bad world on their own," Leo explained. "I bet you must have a lot of adventures to tell."

"You have no idea," I mumbled. Wow he likes to talk.

After it was clear I got the general gist of gods and goddesses, my tour guide decided to actually show me around the camp. For starters, he explained the "dangers" that were in the forest (various monsters that were there for practice) and how I should never go in there unarmed. Then, he explained the cabin order to me.

There were two huge cabins at the back, the one on the left (#1, Zeus's cabin) was slightly bigger than the one on the right (#2, Hera's cabin) though. Then, in front and to the left of Zeus's cabin was #3, Poseidon's. Poseidon and Zeus, together with Hades, created the Big Three; named this because they were generally the three most powerful gods. Granted, all of the gods had their strong parts and wouldn't be able to function without the others. It was a very dependent system.

Two rows spread out on either side of Zeus and Hera's cabins, they were in front and slightly to the left or right of the two bigger cabins, and all had their own style to match the God's power. They all faced towards the middle of the U, and their order was:

#1, Zeus
#2, Hera
#3, Poseidon
#4, Demeter
#5, Ares
#6, Athena
#7, Apollo
#8, Artemis
#9, Hephaestus
#10, Aphrodite
#11, Hermes
#12, Dionysus

Hades didn't have a cabin, as he was frowned upon by the gods, and had been banned from Olympus (home of the gods) and made to live in the underworld (as Hades was the god of the underworld).

"My father is Hephaestus, God of blacksmiths, fire, craftsmen, sculptors etc..." Leo pointed towards a cabin which looked like a small factory, with brick walls and smokestacks like the forges and lots of gears around the entrance. "And that last one belongs to Dionysus, the camp director. He got put in charge of this camp as a punishment, although he doesn't like it very much."

"Hera's cabin and Artemis's cabin are both empty, as Hera is goddess of marriage so will not bear a child to anybody but Zeus, and Artemis is a maiden and has vowed not to have children. Girls can join her and become hunters of Artemis, but I'm sure you'll hear more about that later."