Chapter Six

Shay•

I took off my reading glasses as I sat on my bed looking through my financial statements. I had Paula look at them a week ago and needed for her to fix something but couldn't remember how she explained it. I decided to call her up and ask. The phone rung three times but went to the voicemail. I tried a second time but it sent me straight to voicemail.

"I guess I gotta figure this out on my own." I said aloud to no one in particular.

I picked up my notepad to check and see if I wrote something down that could help me remember. I flipped through the pages searching for an answer but I got nothing. I was really getting frustrated with everything.

I just need to take a break. I thought to myself. I'm stretching myself too far, Its Saturday and I need time to myself.

I piled up everything that I was going through; my notes, my statements and put them in my notebook. I got up from the bed to sit everything on a shelf and a small note card fell from the bottom and landed on the floor. I bent down to pick it up and realized it was Nelson's number.

I looked at it. I looked at it for a long time.

I grabbed my phone from the bed and dialed the number. I waited patiently as the phone began to ring. I aint gone lie, I was nervous as hell. With every ring my heart sunk further into my stomach. I was feeling like a school girl calling her boyfriend's house number for the first time. I didn't know what I was going to say. Luckily it went to voicemail.. I ended the call.

Now all I could think about was him..and the damn leather chairs all around my house didn't make it any better.

I walked into the living room with my phone in my hand, throwing it on the sofa before I went into the kitchen. Since today was going to be a day to myself, I decided to cook some chicken parmesan lasagna.

After I prepared my meal and I stuck it in the oven to let it cook. I went back into the living room and sat indian style on the couch as I flipped through the channels.

I ordered a movie from On Demand and waited until the food was done to press play.

Midway through the movie my phone began to ring. I paused the TV to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Did someone call this number?" The voice on the other end of the receiver chimed.

"Umh Yea, this is Shalesse. Rogers. I was looking for Mr. Nelson."

"This is he. I was wondering if you were even going to call." he said through the reciever. I couldnt see him but I could tell he was smiling.

"Yeah I just got caught up in some work."

"I know what you mean. I was just wrapping up some things on this little project I been working on."

"Oh really, what kind of project?"

"A dance studio for one of my clients."

"You got your hands full huh?"

"I did.. I tell you what.. Im just putting the finishing touches together, how about you swing by and check it out."

"A private viewing?"

"Just think of it as an up close and personal glimpse of what I can do."

I thought about it for awhile.

"Okay. Text me the address and give me five minutes."

"Alright."

We hung up.

I went to the back and threw on a pair of jeans, a tank, some nike sneakers and pulled my hair up in a ball. By the time I was done, the text telling me where to go came through. I grabbed my keys off the counter and headed out the door.

I pulled up in the parking lot, looking around for Nelson before I decided to call.

He came through the front doors dressed down, wearing a collar shirt, some jeans and sneakers. He walked up to the car greeting me with the biggest smile. I returned the gesture as I stepped out the car.

"Nice attire." I said.

He laughed.

"I dont wear suits all the time. Now c'mon." He responded as he grabbed my hand and led the way.

I walked through the building as we took a tour of each room from the offices, the practice area with a private viewing section for the parents, the main stage, hell we even toured the bathrooms.

"You really out done yourself." I said as we went back to the front and sat in the waiting area.

"What can I say.. I love what I do."

"And it shows. I really enjoyed seeing this Nelson."

"D'Wayne. I only use Nelson for business purposes."

"You mind if I ask why?"

He paused before he spoke.

"When people hear the name D'Wayne they assume that I'm only good for playing ball or hanging on the streets. You know.. the typical stereotype of a black male. They dont take the time to notice the knowledge I have within or the things that I'm capable of."

"Honestly, I dont care whether you use D'Wayne or Nelson. I see your Godgiven talent. And the same people who sterotype you already know what you are capable of doing. They see it but to make themselves feel better they have to instill in you that you dont have the midset to do what you know you can do. They are intimidated by your success or even the fact that they know you will succed. Its up to you to believe that you can do what you please. No one can support you better than you."

"Thats dope."

I laughed.

"Is that D'Wayne or Nelson talking?"

"I dont know. I mostly use D'Wayne to get the women who like a thug in their life." He responded as he rubbed the back of his head.

"Youre the most proper speaking thug Ive ever met."

"I try."

I shook my head.

"I cant speak for all of us women but for most of us who has had their share of thugs, we dont want another one. We're looking for a man who knows how to use the head on his shoulders and not just the one in his pants."

"Just when I think I know what to expect from you.. you turn around and give me something completly diffrent."

"What can I say.. I'm a woman who knows what she wants."

"You are so impecable Shaleese."

"Please call me Shay. Shalesse is so formal now."

"Okay.. Shay."

The way my name rolled off his lips sent chills through me.

I rose up from my seat.

"I guess I better get going.."

"Whats the rush."

"Oh nothing but I'm sure you wanted to lock things up."

"Yeah I probably shood." He responded as he got up. "Did you think about my dinner offer."

"Actually I ate before I came."

"Well how about drinks. I know this bar thats not too far from here."

I thought about his offer.

"Alright."

"Good cause I wasnt going to take no for an answer." He responded as we walked out and he locked up the place.