Being Bong

For those of you wondering what does the word "Bong" mean, I typed it into google and among the various results that came up, the definition below is one of them:

"In North America and Europe, a bong is a implement for smoking ceremonial chemicals. In an Indian context, it has an entirely different meaning though. In India, "Bong" is a slang term for "Bengali", i.e. a person who has heritage from the Indian state of West Bengal or pre-1947 Bangladeshi ancestry. This slang term is not restricted to BRF alone and is pretty widespread throughout India.

Among the many Bengali stereotypes are:

The propensity to be a bookworm (usually wearing thick glasses as well).

The tendency to be a communist "intellectual".

Spouts a lot of poetry.

Eat fish for breakfast, lunch and dinner (good for the brain!)

Bengali men turn into rabid soccer fans at the drop of a hat.

Bengali men are hen-pecked."

Well, Bong does stand for benagali but not all of the facts mentioned above is entirely true. Most of the facts have been exaggerated and the stereotypes do exist but they are rare. And some of them are not true, at all.

Well most of you guys here know that I'm a bengali. So suddenly I had this thought, why not write a book here about being bengali? Yeah it sounds a bit stupid but I'm too exited to write this! 

What you can expect from this book is 

-my rant about everything related to the topic

-obviously the food

-streets and the awesome tourist spots

-the campus life

-the famous "Durga Puja"

-and whatever you will ask me to write about (related to the topic obviously)!

-I will also include short fictional stories based in Bengal written by me on occasions.

I'm really exited about writing this and I hope you are as exited as me for reading it as well!

P.s: the first chapter that I'll be posting is still under construction and it will be up in a couple of days. I'll be posting new chapters every week. I hope you will enjoy reading it and Happy Reading! :)