Chapter 18 - Home Harbor

Lake Aloma:

Eric laid his hand on the travel coffin resting on trestles in the throne room. Arrangements had been confirmed. In the early afternoon during his daytime rest, representatives of Annubis Air would arrive. They would be picking him up and transporting him to their hangar and facility at the Will Rogers Airport in Oklahoma City. There had been some discussion about his destination point but in the end the decision had been made to use Bradley International in Windsor Locks, CT. The King of New York had reminded Eric that he was still owed a visit, but Eric was concerned. Since the television appearances he had found his steps dogged by paparazzi. While this type of attention helped the kingdom it would create problems for his current mission. The last thing he wished was to have the attention of any non-supernatural turned toward Sanctum and its guests.

Karin had asked to travel with him but he denied her request. While the business of the kingdom was going well this would be his first time leaving the territory. It was these firsts that were always the most dangerous. If there were traitors in his midst this would be their opportunity to create trouble. Sandy would be here for some time but Eric did not have confidence that she commanded the proper respect. Karin, on the other hand had already struck fear in the hearts of vampires and weres alike. He found himself smiling as he thought of the way those in the hallways would look anywhere to avoid making eye contact with her as she walked by. It marked her as alpha in the palace and that suited Eric fine.

He stared out the windowed doors toward the horizon that was only now starting to show the hint of dawn. He thought again about his mission. His phone buzzed. He glanced at it. It was a text from Felipe asking him to report as soon as he landed. He acknowledged and dropped the phone back in his pocket.

Karin approached him. "I have heard from Connecticut. They are anticipating your arrival. A car will be waiting along with a van to transport the coffin. They have a house in Kent which is only a few towns from Sanctum. You will arrive in plenty of time to settle in. They are interested in renewing acquaintances. I have informed them that you prefer an AB donor if available." Karin waited for Eric to acknowledge her report with a nod and then waited. Eric could sense her tension. He was sure that she could appreciate his own.

As the hour approached he found himself increasingly uneasy. He could not foresee any scenario that would have Sookie Stackhouse happy to see him. She had rejected him with such finality. He would never forget the sight of her crouching over the shifter throwing away their one chance; throwing him away.

Eric suspected that the purpose of being summoned to Sanctum was to provide Sookie 'closure.' Pam had told him about this. It was a technique that allowed humans to move forward after some unsettling personal event. Pam had started recording episodes of Dr. Phil and she was even keener about the advice provided by this human than she had been about Dear Abby. This doctor seemed to advocate confronting issues face to face. Eric could see himself being asked to stand before her while Sookie recounted every way he had failed her. He found himself missing the pre-Revelation days when you could solve your personal issues with a stake and silver. This current way seemed crueler.

"Master?" Karin called him back from his thoughts. "Are you sure of your purpose in this visit?" Then Karin stared at him. He could feel her tension ratcheting so he purposely calmed himself and pushed it toward her.

"I am. I have a message to deliver and I will do as I have promised." Eric smiled briefly, and then turned his head back to the window. "Shouldn't you be seeking your rest?"

Karin smiled briefly as well. She had felt his turmoil for hours. As each hour passed it had increased. She wasn't fooled by the sudden wash of calm. "Eric, I question the reason for your mission. It is unlikely that Sookie will be willing to return to Louisiana. Her home is gone. If she were willing to return because of you, you are in Oklahoma and not Louisiana. I worry that this favor was asked purposely as an excuse for you to fail."