Chapter 32 - Flying Colors

Nashville:

Sookie sat back a little further in the limo as the car passed through the throngs of reporters. Cameras flashed and faces came close to the tinted windows. It appeared that the interest of the American public had turned to the world of vampires. Over the past five days leading up to the Summit a series of internet articles and television news stories had appeared that talked about the Clans and those who served as leaders to their vampires. There had been a very flattering interview with Bartlett Crowe that had been repurposed across multiple media channels. In it he described the kings and queens of the vampire community. He described their role as being elder statesmen to vampires residing in their respective areas. He outlined a hierarchy that seemed to blend a tribal structure with a corporate organization chart. He painted an appealing picture.

The article focused on Bartlett himself as being a typical state leader, or 'king,' in the vampire community. The monarch had discussed his roots in Elizabethan England and had volunteered a funny story about meeting John Donne. He stressed how grateful he and his fellow monarchs were to be living in the United States. He made clear that vampires viewed themselves subject to the laws of their country first and foremost. Through questions and answers Bartlett was able to make the point that vampires paid taxes and were expected to fulfill all the duties and obligations required of any other citizen. "The one exemption we do claim is from serving on juries because courts only operate during the day," Bartlett had said.

The idea that there was royalty among them; "our own real royalty" had caught the imagination of the American public and overnight vampires were finding themselves thrust into the role of celebrity. For some the new attention was being taken in stride. For other monarchs it was making a difficult transition almost unbearable. Bartlett had done his best to contact the Clan heads and give them fair warning. His message to them summarized why this action was needed and apologized in advance for the changes it would necessitate. Within his own Clan Tennessee had made clear that he had no interest in operating under these circumstances. He would be formally resigning his position at the Summit and retiring to Europe where vampires were treated like everyone else.

Alabama, on the other hand, had been gleeful. She was actively engaged in converting this new interest in both her person and her compound into a tourist commodity from which she intended to take all the profits. When Bartlett had mentioned Alabama's new business to Nabila, the Carolinas queen had shrugged. '"Class is as class does," she'd sniffed.

Isaiah had not been among the group that whole-heartedly welcomed this new notoriety. He had bowed to the wishes of his Clan Chief, but he had also made it clear he would be limiting contact where possible. This evening's opening reception was restricted to vampires and members of retinue. No members of the press were to be invited. Non vampire exhibitors for the Summit were also absent from the invitee list. Somehow the exclusivity of the guest list had only served to fuel the curiosity of the paparazzi. The press corps had formed outside the gates of the private estate that had been rented for the occasion before sunset and showed no sign of dispersing.

Things quieted down once the limo cleared the gate. The long driveway ended in a large circular area. When Eric, Sookie and Maude exited the car a cheer rose from the group at the gate and Eric turned towards them and waved. "Boy, you're just eating this up, aren't you Northman?" Sookie huffed, but she was having a hard time controlling her smile.

"Jealous, lover? I can't help that I am so popular. Humans know quality when they see it." Eric smirked down at her and Sookie smirked right back.

"Better get your butt in the house before your ego gets too big for the door," she growled.

"That's 'Mr. World Class Butt' to you, Miss Stackhouse," he snarked back.

Maude couldn't help but laugh out loud. "I swear watching the two of you is worth the price of admission!"