Chapter 34 - Crossing the Mark

Nashville

There were suddenly so many faces surrounding him; faces welcoming him back; faces registering their approval. There were those who anticipated more good fortune and were making their presence known so that they could remind him that they had been among the first to congratulate him.

And then, in the many acquaintances, Pam's face was before him. She smiled up at him and bowed. "Master," she had said: One word that conveyed everything. 'Tomorrow,' he thought, 'I will complete this journey and my progeny will be free.' The second face, Karin, stood behind her sister. Eric had sensed a dampening of Karin's spirit. He had heard that Thomas, Isaiah's second was not likely to return any single vampire's interest and Eric wondered if his child's reticence might be tied in some way to that realization. He smiled encouragement at her and she smiled back and nodded.

The last face; the dearest face he wanted to see seemed to be missing. He finished scanning another time, and still finding her missing he sent a warning through the bond. Both his children's expressions sharpened showing they understood. "Sookie?" he asked. Pam shook her head and Karin did as well. Eric turned his head and saw King Crowe. "Sookie?" he asked again.

'We left her in our suite with Mr. Cataliades just before the start of the Tribunal," the king told him. Eric replayed the emotions he had felt from her running through the bond as he waited for the doors to open; the doors that would lead him here. He had felt her panic and pain. He had almost abandoned his place to find her when the feelings changed and he had felt her calm return. He reached out now and felt only a vague sense of disquiet. He thought she must still be with the lawyer; at a minimum she did not seem to be in any distress.

Sandy Seacrest came through the crowd to stand in front of him. A rare smile lit her face. Eric bowed to her. "I am indebted to you," he said.

"Yes, you are," Sandy returned. "I look forward to a long and profitable collaboration between our areas, Viking. You can anticipate my demands for favorable trade terms. Of course I would anticipate that you would consider me a preferred partner in any upcoming contracts. There was nothing selfless in anything I did." Eric knew Sandy well enough to know that while she was serious, there was also an underlying thread of her own unique dry humor embedded in her remarks. The Kansas monarch did not.

"I am happy to hear that Miss Seacrest." The monarch made an effort to draw closer to Eric. He faced Sandy, edging others back. He made clear that what he had to say he wished to be heard by many. "I am happy because it would not sit well with me to think that someone as educated as yourself; with a reputation for fair dealing would embrace a spouse killer; a queen killer." Ralph looked directly at Eric. "There may be others here willing to overlook what you did, but I am not among them."

The king turned his head until he was looking directly at Russell Edgington. "I can only assume that you were ill informed about the Viking to have accepted him as part of your retinue," he sneered.

Russell found himself leaning forward, but he caught himself. The Mississippi king looked over Kansas' shoulder. He could see the tall publicist and her reporter's faces. At Ralph's words the reporter turned to look at Eric Northman with more interest. 'This is the true danger,' the king thought. He had a flash of a headline splashed across a newspaper and a picture of the Viking being labeled as a murderer.

"Ralph," Russell purred, "I am sorry to say it is you who are ill informed. Eric did not murder Freyda. Her death was tragic but it was an accident." Russell glared at Kansas bringing his full focus and pushing glamour at the monarch. He knew it would have little effect but he hoped it would startle the king enough to get his attention. Russell saw the king rear back as he felt the tentative pressure. When Ralph locked his eyes on Russell's, Mississippi deliberately turned his head and nodded in the direction of the humans. "I am sure that you would not wish to misinform members of the press or give them the wrong idea by making wild accusations."