Chapter 21 - Lines of Position

Lake Aloma:

Eric's first thoughts as he rose for the evening were of Sookie. He was surprised to find he could feel her through their blood bond. He could tell there was distance, but he clearly sensed the thrum that was her life force. He was still in his travel coffin and the enclosed space allowed him to luxuriate in the scent of her. He knew that he would need to wash her from his skin but for these few minutes he could close his eyes and remember their time together.

There was a purity in purpose that resulted from having a bond in place; even one as temporary as the exchange he and Sookie had made. His thoughts had been warring with him when he arrived at Sanctum. He had told himself so many times during his years in Oklahoma that his feelings for the telepath were ended. He had almost convinced himself that he could carry out De Castro's assignment and remain indifferent. He had been proven wrong.

Accepting his affection for her so quickly had been a gamble; perhaps a weakness that he was unable to resist. But then had come the blood exchange. In that moment of sharing, Sookie's emotions had been laid open to him. He could feel her attachment and her sincerity. He could feel her joy. He was sure that he felt love from her. He wanted to trust that those feelings were constant and strong. Granted, the Sookie that he knew before Oklahoma had not been constant. She had said one thing and then done another. But this had felt different; she had felt different.

For a moment, Eric considered that in all his long existence as vampire he had never truly loved. He appreciated that his ability to discern feelings; to navigate the obstacles of the heart were undeveloped. He found himself contemplating the possibility that for all his knowledge and experience that in this aspect he was unschooled and therefore vulnerable. Then, in the next minute he accepted this possibility and refocused on this moment; on the next step that would move him forward and one step closer to being able to claim Sookie Stackhouse as his once again.

Eric took one last inhalation, feeling like he was holding her to him in every way possible. Then he opened the coffin. The room was as he had left it. Clothes awaited him on the bed. He walked through his closet and started the water in his shower. As he emerged, the steam following him, a donor appeared. He fed then sent the woman on her way. He had found that fucking them rarely satisfied him. For those times he had needed the release and focus that sexual activity provided he would ask for a particular group of donors. He had assembled them over time; pretty enough, skilled and undemanding. But now he felt no need. He pulled his cell phone from the charger cradle and sent his text message to Nevada.

'Apologies for delayed transmission. Phone trouble. Stackhouse has declined. Instructions?"

He hit send and then walked to the business offices.

Sandy Seacrest was already at work when he arrived. Her greying head was turned to the dual monitors. She appeared to be reconciling local reports to a larger balance sheet. She turned her head and briefly bowed, acknowledging him. "Welcome back."

Eric had come to like Sandy. She reminded him of Maxwell in many ways; smart, well ordered. Eric found himself smiling. 'A plodder,' he thought. 'But a good one. I wonder why she stays with De Castro?'

Eric bowed slightly in return. "Good evening. Everything in order?"

Sandy had turned back to the monitors when she answered him. "Everything but you. Did you forget to update someone on your progress?"

"Felipe has contacted you." Eric said it as a statement. "I have already texted him with my progress. Or I should say my failure." Sandy looked up at him, her eyebrows raised. "My charger was missed in the packing." This was a lie but Eric had taken the extra step of throwing his away in a trashcan in downtown Kent as he was leaving.