Chapter 1

400 Years Ago...

Cara had always been meant for greatness. She'd been born a princess, her mother's favorite, and destined to take over her throne someday when she retired or, Order forbid, died.

The day all that changed started much like any other Samhain. She awoke, put on her favorite glamor charm, and bounced off to the nearest Faery gate, intent on visiting the human world like she did every year.

That year, she dressed in her favorite silk gown, a simple purple number that made her feel beautiful. She liked it ever the more because her brother hated it so. He always made fun of her in it, but she always got the most lascivious looks from the opposite sex while wearing it, so she just figured all the better if it chapped his hide.

Seelie Gate sat just outside her mother's castle, and had long ago been ornamented in beautiful colored stones, worked metals, and items even she could not name. The result left a person breathless at first sight, it's Celtic knots stretching across its surface in seemingly impossible designs, designs that only magic could pull off.

Samhain held special significance to the Fae, her people. On Samhain, any Fae could cross into the human world, no matter how weak. A Sidhe like herself could cross any day of the year, but it was customary for all Fae to travel to the human world on Samhain, and return before the magic of the night waned.

For the Unseelie Fae, the night meant doling out chaos in abundant numbers. Those Fae, opposite of her court, were the reason for the legends regarding fairies. They gave all of them a bad name.

Her people, on the other hand, the Seelie Fae, didn't do such things. They sought only to bring Order to the worlds. They held their natures in careful check, controlling both the conscious and unconscious magic that comprised their makeup, something the Unseelie saw as an abomination, a travesty against their creation.

Cara stepped through the gate, reality rippling and caressing her skin like leaning into the surface of a body of water. Another step and she slipped to the other side, a world so very different from her own. Though visibly it looked much the same, she could feel the difference. Here, magic was nothing but a memory to most people, her people little more than superstitions.

A wry smile crossed her face, but she smiled into the moonlight, ready to start exploring, and maybe even stop some chaotic magic from causing too much havoc on this night of nights.

#

Beathan watched from the shadows as his older sister, Cara, stepped into the human world. He waited a few beats, then made his own way through the gate. He glared as he arrived on the other side.

Order's sake, but he hated the human world. He couldn't understand the appeal it held for his people. Was it the allure of the unattainable? After all, most Fae could only travel there on Samhain. That would create a certain rarity to some.

But as a member of the Sidhe, the human world held no such rarity, and he saw this world of barbarians as beneath him and his people. If it were up to him, he would forbid his people from ever traveling there ever again.

Yet it wasn't up to him. No, in spite of all his status, he was only second in line for the throne. In a kingdom where people lives for millennia, he would never see any real power. Not unless he took it.

And he would do exactly that.

Author's Note: If Faith is Fallen receives 2 additional votes by 9pm EST today, I will post Chapter 2 today as well. That's 6 total votes for the book. Hope you enjoyed!