Chapter 46

Author's Note: Bonus Points and a Dedication to the first person who comments on the significance of cake in the picture.  

Roderick woke up to an empty bed. On some level, he'd expected that. After all, what more could this be but a booty call? She was his queen, and she always would be. And he would be nothing more than her right hand man. Perhaps trusted above all others, but still nowhere near of equal position to her. And for that reason, he just couldn't imagine that their "relationship" could ever go anywhere.

After all, Caoimhe hadn't had more than dalliances with Cara's or Beathan's fathers. In fact, no one even knew who Beathan's father was. Caoimhe never said, much to the chagrin of the Sidhe.

Roderick got out of bed and looked around for his clothes before remembering that they lay in the Throne Room. He smiled and shook his head, wondering if anyone had made notice of their naked dash to the queen's quarters. No matter.

He walked out of the room, unabashed and completely naked, heading to the Throne Room. It was a short distance, and he stepped inside just as Caoimhe waved her hand in front of the mirror. "Is all well?"

She turned, a sad smile on her face that didn't belong after what they'd just finished doing. Yes, he would have to come to terms with the fact that what they'd shared had been nothing more than carnal. "I have something I need you to do."

He bowed, trying to return to his normal role, but it was harder than he'd expected. "I am at your service, my queen."

#

Beathan sat on his "throne" as one of his spies approached. The man was extremely nervous, not used to being on Unseelie lands. He fidgeted, and wouldn't maintain eye contact, which just made Beathan irritated.

"Speak."

The spy jumped. "Yes, sir. Yes, sorry, sir."

"On with it."

"Yes, sir. I have news about your mother."

"Well, what is it?"

"She has a new beau."

"That is hardly news. She has a new beau every few years. They hardly last long at all."

"Ah, but this is different." The spy waggled his finger at Beathan, irritating him further. "The new beau is Roderick."

"Roderick?" Warmth flowed through Beathan. Oh, how he hated Roderick, the smug bastard. And the spy was right. He knew his mother well enough to know she rarely dallied with those close to her. If ever. She didn't like things getting complicated. It had happened once before, with his father, and she'd never done it since. If she'd taken him as a lover, then she felt more than physical attraction for the man. Even liking the man wouldn't be enough. A grin came to his face. "I want you to tell me immediately if Roderick is sent out of the castle for any reason. I need to know his every move."

The spy bowed. "Yes, sir."

Beathan's plans were moving faster than he ever could have hoped.

#

A knock came at Cara's door. "Come in," she said, a frown on her face.

Amy peeked in. "You're sitting."

"Yup. I was getting impatient."

"You shouldn't be sitting. You're not ready."

"Ha! I was hoping to try standing next. I feel like if I don't move soon, I just might explode."

"You shouldn't be sitting, Faith. It's too soon."

"I didn't pull anything. I can tell. It's fine. And I need to move more than I need to sit. Trust me. I'm going mad here."

Amy smiled, but didn't protest further. "Very well. Stay there and I'll replace your bandages."

Amy helped her with removing her shirt, and Amy sat down behind her on the bed, her supplies strewn out.

"So, I heard Val has been paying you attention."

"What?"

"Jeremy. Jeremy said Val has been paying you some attention."

"You make it sound romantic in nature."

"Is it?"

"Oh, God, I hope not."

"Why's that?"

Amy paused. "Can you keep a secret?"

"I am the princess of secrets."

Amy paused again. "I don't think I can trust you, Faith."

"Being able to trust and someone being trustworthy are two very different things. You may not be able to trust me, but that doesn't make me untrustworthy."

"I heard what you said."

"What I said?"

"A few days ago. I heard."

"What did you hear, Amy?"

"You're not who you claim to be. Neither of you are."

"That may be true, but we have our reasons, and they have nothing to do with harming anyone here and everything to do with protecting us. Surely, you can understand that."

"More than you know. I'm asexual."

Cara laughed. "Well, that was sudden."

"Well, you don't have to be so callous about it."

"I'm sorry. That wasn't my intention. Go on."

"I'm asexual. Isn't that enough?"

Cara trying to work out where this was going. What did asexuality have to do with Val paying her attention. "Are you aromantic?"

"How do you even know that word?"

"I get around. Well?"

"No. I don't think I am."

Cara nodded. "Then I don't see the problem."

"Don't you? God, you must be blind! How can I possibly have any relationship?"

Cara turned carefully, attempting to look Amy in the eye, but it wasn't easy. "Val doesn't care about things like that. Other than me, who he views like a sister, he has been alone, and he's been alone for a very long time. Nothing matters to him more than companionship, love, because it is the one thing he has been forced to be without to protect himself, protect his heart."

Amy frowned. "It hasn't been my experience that men are willing to do without certain things."

"And it has been my experience that when you are without something for long enough, you will sacrifice almost anything to get it."

Amy finished the bandaging, and helped Cara dress, but didn't say anything more. Cara wasn't sure if she was thinking about what she'd just said or if she was secretly fuming, but unwilling to continue the conversation.

She would just have to wait and see.

Author's Note:  I had to go into work today.  Was not happy about it.  I wanted to sleep in, but lost half the day because the global CEO is visiting starting Monday, so we had half the lab cleaning and straightening up.