Chapter 40

Amy slipped out of the room, closing the door behind her with a soft click.

"Oh, Amy, you're off your shift. How was your day?"

She leaned against the door, just a little tired. "Good, Clara. Thanks for helping her."

Clara nodded. "Any time, Amy. You know that."

"Yes, I do. You're a blessing to the pack, but you already know that."

"Oh, hush, Amy," Clara said, blushing wildly at the compliment.

"Oh, Amy, Clara, have you seen my uncle?"

The both turned to the young man that had spoken. Practically a replica of Daniel, though you could see the age difference in the eyes. One could always tells age from the eyes, and not by any wrinkles that might be there, but by the weight of the things they'd seen that always seemed to leak out through the eyes. Young Jeremy hadn't lived long enough to be haunted by a thing. Instead, he had the hope and optimism of a child. "Hello, Jeremy. He's in the room behind me."

"How long's he been in there? What's going on?"

Clara smiled knowingly, but didn't say anything.

Amy rolled her eyes. God, Clara could be so melodramatic sometimes. "He brought an injured woman here yesterday. Badly injured, but I think she'll make it through."

"I don't understand."

"He's found his mate, dear," Clara said.

#

Jeremy slipped back into this room, and closed the door behind him, sliding down until he was seated on the floor. "Holy crap." His life had just changed for all of time.

Now what? He'd always lived under the idea that he would one day be alpha, but if Daniel had found his mate, that was looking less and less likely. He scrubbed his face and hair with his hands, trying to come to terms with this new reality.

He shook his head, and laughed. Daniel had always said he would never take a mate. He'd never shown the slightest bit of interest. It almost didn't compute that he'd found one now.

But then Jeremy thought back to Amy's statement. The woman was injured, badly so. He clasped his hands together. God, it would tear Daniel apart if something happened to his mate just as he found her.

No, no that couldn't happen. Jeremy stood, but he found himself sitting on the side of his bed without a thought, anxiety filling him. "What am I going to do now? What am I gonna be?" A great big void, a great big empty future lay before him. Full of possibilities, and yet terrifying in its magnitude.

He bent over with his head between his knees, trying to get his breathing under control when the very idea sent him into a panic attack.

#

Cara woke again, the room and sounds familiar this time. She turned to the side, where that same man sat like a statue. Had he even moved since last time?

"You're awake," he said. "Thank God. I've got some water for you. Here."

He tipped a glass to her lips, and they spilled more than she drank, but it tasted amazing. "Thank you." Her voice was still rough, but not like last time.

He removed the glass, placing it on the nightstand, and wiped up the mess with his sleeve. "It's good to see you awake. You had us all worried."

Cara smiled. "Yes, I had myself worried as well. I was quite certain I was a goner. What about Michael? Is he okay?"

"Red hair?"

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry. He was dead when I got there."

Cara closed her eyes, momentarily overwhelmed by reality once again. She let out a shuddering breath, and swallowed it down—all the emotion, all the pain. "Thank you, for telling me. I needed to know."

"I'm sorry. I know this must be hard for you. Who was he to you?"

"Family."

"Then I'm doubly sorry for your loss. I know how it feels."

She nodded, but didn't say anything.

"I'm Daniel, by the way."

She paused, uncertain what name to give. Should she use her real name? Her alias? Or since Beathan might have picked up on that one, was that one not safe either anymore? "Faith. Faith McKenna."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Faith. This is my home. And you're welcome to stay as long as you like."

"Oh, I can't." Cara thought of her brother, of the damage he could do here. She couldn't bring his wrath on anyone else.

"Please, I insist. You can't go anywhere yet. You're weak from your injuries, and you need to heal."

Cara shifted slightly in the bed, and groaned.

He sighed. "See? It will take time to recover."

"I know. It just sucks."

"This has happened to you before."

She looked at him, puzzled by the comment. "Yes, how did you know?"

"The last time you woke, you made mention of that."

"I did?" She didn't even remember waking up before. What the hell had she told him?"

"Don't worry. You're safe here. There isn't a single person in this community that would let anyone lay a hand on you. I promise."

"Oh, Daniel. People have made that promise before."