No Happy Endings

Conan was cold to me on Monday morning—no flowers, no kisses, no sweet words. It was as if Saturday never happened. He locked himself in his office and buried himself in work. He barely even acknowledged me when I brought him his lunch.

I tried not to worry about him, but it really started getting to me in the afternoon. I began thinking about his last secretary. I wondered if she left because of his kinks or because he was a total prick after she submitted to him.

Was this Conan's idea of being exclusive? Did he always torment his lovers, get them to submit so that he could entwine them in pleasure and pain as part of some cruel fantasy? Did he have a dungeon with torture devices? Was he just a sick, kinky bastard who derived pleasure from sadistic games? What other secrets was he hiding? Did I imagine everything? Am I overreacting?

I finished my work early and sent Conan an email saying I was going home sick. I didn't think I'd be able to hold it together on the subway and I took a taxi.

* * *

There was a rose on the sidewalk outside my building. I picked it up before I went inside.

Milky was sleeping on the sofa. I flopped down next to her and stroked her neck. The loud vibration of her purrs against my hand was a comfort. At least someone loves me.

A few realizations hit me like a ton of bricks. The White Queen gave me everything I needed to start a new life. Without her, I wouldn't be who I am. My sisters, the Red Hourglass, and my missions were all part of me. I have to serve the White Queen. The old me—the naïve me who could trust men—was dead. I could never trust a man again. They only disappointed me ... time and time again.

I started plucking the petals off the rose, chanting "he loves me, he loves me not" like a silly little girl. I felt like I was on the verge of an emotional breakdown and I decided to take some time off work.

I figured I needed a week to detach from my emotions and get down to business again. I sent Conan an email.

Dear Conan,

I have to take leave for the rest of the week. I hope this is okay.

Regards,

Scarlet Walters

He replied immediately.

Scarlet,

Your leave is approved.

Is anything wrong? I'm always here to help.

Conan W. Casey

Chief Security Officer

Wilmar Enterprises

____________________

Conan,

Thank you. Nothing's wrong. I just need a break.

Scarlet Walters

____________________

Scarlet,

I'll call you after work.

Conan W. Casey

Chief Security Officer

Wilmar Enterprises

I shut down my laptop and turned off my phone. Did he really care? No, he didn't. He was just using me.

* * *

The next morning, I had a text message from Vanus: "Don't forget the milk." That meant there was something for me in the dead drop. I went downstairs and grabbed the white envelope from the milk box.