Confessions (Explicit)

The following Friday, Conan and I were in bed after dinner.

"Scarlet." Conan kissed my forehead. "I need to tell you something."

"What?" Does he know I'm on a mission for the White Queen?

"I've been debating whether or not I should tell you ..."

"Are you hiding something else from me? Are you afraid to tell me?"

"No, I'm not hiding anything else, but I'm afraid you'll take it badly."

"Tell me."

"I met my ex."

"WHAT!" I sat up and pulled the comforter around me.

"She called yesterday and asked to see me."

"And you met her?" I raised my eyebrows.

"I did," said Conan, sitting up.

"Why?"

"She wanted to talk to me in person. When we met she asked if she could borrow some money. She needs a major operation but she isn't working ... she doesn't have health insurance."

"Did you give her the money for this major operation?"

"Yes."

"That's insane! Why did you do that?"

"She left Wilmar because of me. She didn't get any severance pay ... and she could've sued the company because of our involvement. I feel somewhat responsible for her situation, and I think helping her out is the least I can do."

"What did you do that made her leave?"

"I don't want to talk about it," said Conan.

"Was it because of your BDSM kinks?"

"No. Scarlet, please leave it alone."

"We've been dating for months and you've implied that you want a future with me, yet she's still in your heart. What am I supposed to do?"

"I don't know." Conan's lips trembled. "She's not a good person and she's not good for me. She'll ruin me if I let her. Scarlet, you have to believe me when I tell you that I want nothing more than to get over her."

"I don't know about that," I said, staring him in the eye. "You can't get rid of her engagement ring and you've just given her loads of cash that you know she's unlikely to pay back. Why should I believe anything you say?"

"I don't know. But I do know that keeping the engagement ring isn't fair to you."

"I'm glad you at least know that much." I smirked. "But the fact of the matter is that you're in denial. The relationship is over and you're still waiting for her to come crawling back."

"I'm not in denial. I've accepted that she was too much for me to handle. I know it's over."

"I guess you've rescued yourself from her, but maybe I'm no better." I was angry. I couldn't trust his feelings for me and my feelings for him were too strong. "Watch out, or I may be the death of you yet."

"Scarlet, I wouldn't know what to do with my life if I hadn't met you. You saved me."

"Maybe I'm worse than your ex. For all you really know, I could be lethal."

"Don't say that ... I don't believe it. You're feisty and you have a tattoo, but I know you're as harmless as a butterfly."

"That's what you think." I scowled at him.

"She causes me pain and you bring me pleasure. Scarlet, I want to be with you."

"There's pain in every pleasure." I pinched his arm. I wanted to tie him to the bed and get out my blades. You can't blow the mission, control yourself. I stroked the red mark left by my pinch and smiled. "But the worst pain of all is knowing that your love was never returned. Can you promise me that you'll put the past behind you?"