Freedom

Wilmar security checked my apartment before I went inside.

"We'll just wait out here for you," said one of the guards.

"Thanks. I won't be long."

Milky looked at me. I sat next to her on the sofa and scratched her furry little head. Everything I'd been told was almost too much, but I knew for certain that I wasn't safe in New York City. It was time to leave.

I destroyed the laptop and cell phone Vanus gave me. Then I shredded all my fake documents with a blade and flushed everything down the toilet.

I took my engagement ring out of the shoe I'd hidden it in and put it on my finger. Maybe Conan's right to have faith in humanity. I shoved everything back in my luggage and got Milky's cat bag.

Milky meowed as I picked her up. "Don't worry little one. We're going to a better place."

I opened the door and one of the security guards took my luggage, but I carried Milky. I closed the apartment door for the last time. "Goodbye Scarlet Walters."

Conan was waiting outside with his limo and two Wilmar SUVs. I guess we can't be too careful now. The security guard put my luggage in the trunk.

"We should get out of here," Conan said as he opened the car door.

"I told you it wasn't safe to come back." I caressed the bandages on his arms and sat into the back seat. I held Milky's cat bag on my lap.

"I had no choice, but I'm thankful that you were there to save me. You're amazing," he said as he sat down and closed the door.

"You're not welcome. You could've been killed. Do you promise to listen to me from now on?"

"Maybe." He kissed my cheek. "We're safe now, that's the important thing."

"Not for long. We have to leave New York."

"Mary." Conan grabbed my hands and held them to his chest. "After everything that's happened today, I can't bear the thought of spending another night apart from you. I want to get married ... tonight."

"But I don't have any identification."

"Don't worry about that. You're a Wilmar." Conan smiled and squeezed my hands.

"I love you you disobedient, naughty boy."

"I love you too my incredible Mary."

* * *

We drove up to the sliding gate of the Wilmar residence. There were armed security guards stationed around the mansion and property.

My mother and sister had decorated the large, open-concept living room. There were bouquets of flowers everywhere, and cherry-scented candles made an aisle along the curved glass staircase and into the living room. It was perfect for a wedding.

"I'm so glad to have a sister," said Clarissa, jumping up and down and clapping. "You can change in my room upstairs."

I put on a casual white dress and some lip gloss. I didn't have time to buy a wedding gown, but I didn't mind. A wedding is about love, not the dress.

Johnson had on a tuxedo. He walked me down the glowing stairs to our family. Clarissa had filled the living room with pieces of art that must've come from her gallery. She handed me a bridal bouquet and gave me a kiss on the cheek as I got to the makeshift altar. My mother's face looked angelic in the candlelight, and my father looked very distinguished as he took his place next to her. Milky was sitting in front of them, purring.

Conan's was wearing his finest suit and a wide smile. He was breathtaking, like the night sky filled with stars. He was truly the Roman god of my dreams.

The justice of the peace stood between me and Conan and joined our hands. Conan squeezed my fingers tightly.

"You may speak your vows," said the justice of the peace.

"Mary, I owe you my life, and I love you like I've never loved before. I am bound to you, and I promise to devote my life to serving you and making you happy. I, Conan, take you, Mary, as my wedded wife for all eternity." He gently kissed my hand and looked at me with his gorgeous wolf pup eyes.

"Conan, you taught me how to love again. Together, we are one complete being united as the sands of time in an infinite hourglass. I, Mary, take you, Conan, as my wedded husband for all eternity."

"You are now husband and wife," said the justice of the peace. "You may kiss the bride."

Clarissa turned on the stereo and Conan and I kissed as wedding bells tolled.

"Congratulations my darling." Susanne gave me a hug as tears welled up in her eyes. "I never thought I would see this day."

I saw a sunflower field under a blue sky and my mother turning around with open arms to hug me.

Conan lifted me up and swung me around in a circle as our family cheered and clapped. I was surrounded by love, and I'd finally found the happiness I'd longed for. I no longer had to worry about the villainous White Queen or the scheming sisters. I had my real parents, a new sister, and a husband who loved me. I couldn't ask for anything more.

"Sweetheart, we didn't have time to get you a proper gift, but we hope this will do for now," said Johnson as he placed a passport in my hand.

I opened the passport. It belonged to Mary Wilmar.

"How did you get this?" I asked.

"We have connections." Johnson smiled. "As soon as we got the news this morning, I made a few calls. You're our daughter and it's time for you to take your rightful place in the world."

"You don't know how much this means to me," I said as tears rolled down my cheeks.

I am Mary Wilmar. This is who I really am. All the pain of my past was erased in that instant. I was no longer under anyone's control. My life was my own to live with my husband.

"Welcome home, Mary," said Johnson as he wiped my tears and kissed me.

* * *

We drove in a convoy of limos toward Chicago.

"You look as dashing as ever," I said, I looking at Conan. "I'm so glad we're married."

"Me too." Conan squeezed my hand and kissed me.

The sound of bursting tires shattered the night air.

Winda.

What did you find for yourself through the journey of the Red Hourglass? Help others find their truths by sharing this book. The sequels will be released annually in October, on Halloween.

Share your review on Amazon.

Recommend Red Hourglass to friends or on readers' groups and discussion boards.

Feedback – let us know what you want to see in the sequels: email scarlet@thescarletqueen.com

Join our mailing list for news about future releases: