The Surprise

It was early morning, but the sun was barely visible in the distance through the haze. As I walked the narrow streets on my way to the subway, autumn leaves fell to the sidewalk, covering the city in dead hopes. I thought about my weekend with Conan. We were together just yesterday, and now I'm alone again.

I remembered lying hand in hand on the autumn leaves with Anna. She told me that she'd always be there for me, that we'd be best friends forever. Then she was gone.

Images of my mother walking away from me began racing through my mind. Her face was a blur as autumn leaves swirled around her. She collapsed in the field and I ran toward her until the ghostly hands of my stepfather pulled me back. I was overcome by the feeling that my mother was still alive ... and looking for me too.

I bent over and touched my heel before I went down the subway stairs. The blade safely tucked inside reassured me.

* * *

I was delighted to see a dozen red roses on my desk. I picked up the vase and smelled the flowers.

"Scarlet," Conan said from behind me. "I hope you like roses."

"I like them very much." I blushed. "Thank you."

"I have something for you." He took a white envelope from his inside pocket and placed it on my desk.

"What's this?" My stomach dropped. The envelope reminded me of instructions from the White Queen.

"Your birthday present. Today is the actual day, after all."

"Yes, it is." I opened the envelope and pulled out a picture. "Niagara Falls? It looks dreamy."

"I'm glad you think so." Conan smiled. "We're leaving Thursday morning."

"But ..." I said.

"No buts. It's your birthday present and you deserve a break."

"But ... why Canada?" Shit. Will my passport and ID work, or will I be caught? I can't tell the White Queen I'm leaving the country with Conan, although I'm sure she'll find out somehow.

"Niagara Falls is beautiful ... and romantic," said Conan. "It'll be just the two of us with no interruptions and no distractions."

"Can I let you know in a few days?"

"The reservations are made and I'm not taking no for an answer."

"It does sound nice." I looked down at the photo and touched the edges. "But I can't say yes just yet. I think I have plans with my friend Mimi on Saturday night. She wants to take me out for my birthday."

"You can cancel." Conan kissed my forehead. "I'm sure she'll understand. Tell her it's a work thing. She won't be able to argue with that."

"I'll try." I did like the idea of leaving this dreadful place where I was forced to live a double life.

"Good." Conan grinned and clapped his hands. "I'm off to meet the board. We're meeting the Zhong Yuan executives next Monday afternoon and we have a lot of negotiating points to finalize."

I picked up the envelope and slipped the picture inside. I was torn. I would trade anything to work a normal job, have a boyfriend ... to live like a regular human being. The thought of going back to the White Queen—risking my life, killing her enemies, soiling my soul—was terrifying.

I didn't want to end up back on the streets, but I couldn't go on serving two masters. I'll have to make a decision.

* * *

"Roses! I don't have to ask who these are from," said Mimi in her high-pitched voice as she bent over and sniffed the flowers. "Smells like the countryside. What's the occasion?"